Abnormal growth in digestive tract - GRAPHIC photos

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BaGAWK!!, Mar 23, 2012.

  1. BaGAWK!!

    BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

    228
    0
    89
    Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Hello, heres a little backstory:  I had a bantam cochin pullet age 9 months, that I found generally weak one night when I went to put them up for the night. She was fine up until this, just on the thin side. She had an appetite, but would sit there w/ her eyes closed in pain possibly. She would stumble slightly when she walked but boy did she want to eat when she could muster up the energy. She wasn't laying down, comb and wattles nice and red. She had been feeling thin to me, I had already done a fecal on the coop and found worms so I was in the middle of worming them all (I had already done one treatment, and they were due the next night to get the 2nd round). I had done Sulmet a couple wks before that b/c I found coccidia in a fecal. She was on layer pellets and/or crumbles. I palpated for her being egg bound and nothing. I treated her for impacted crop that night b/c upon palpation I could feel a strange hard but small thing in her crop. Used olive oil and did massage. Didn't know what else to do.

    I found her dead in the coop in the morning. Upon necropsy, I found some strange things. The contents of the crop were normal. Nothing hard or any blockages there I could find. I wanted to get your thoughts on the rest of it.

    I always thought the gizzard or ventriculus was very firm and  hard and almost iridescent and shiny on the outside. This is b/c I  have seen a couple of my birds' organs after a hawk got it, and I always found this organ in there. Is this correct?

    The gizzard was covered in fat which I read is normal. I opened the proventriculus and immediately underneath it (the part connected to it which should be the gizzard), and found the outside of what I thought was the gizzard to be thin but fibrous which did not seem normal to me. The gizzard itself seemed enlarged. On the inside I found ground up beetles and layer food. Then farther inside I found this golf ball sized, firm mass of tissue. It was layers and layers of pale colored "meat". With my limited knowledge of chicken physiology this did not look normal to me. It had nooks and crannies. I wonder if this could have formed a blockage. Or if it was an access since chickens' pus is firm unlike ours.

    My questions being, What is the shiny/bluish organ? Has anyone had experience with masses in the digestive tract, what is it and/or what could it be caused by? Did I do anything to cause it? Incidentally, I got fecal samples from her caeca and intestines...no parasites. Also did not see any worms when I cut open lengths of intestine.

    This is a photo of what I thought was the gizzard, with it cut open. You see the fat around the outside and the ground up food on the inside.
    [​IMG]

    Here's the mass from inside what I thought was the gizzard, on the glove:
    [​IMG]

    I identified all other organs except this. It was shiny and iridescent on the outside but gave when I squeezed it, not firm at all. What is it? If this is the gizzard, then the mass I found was actually in the proventriculus.
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. klmclain1

    klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 14, 2011
    I THINK that the last picture has the gizzard in it.
     
  3. CMV

    CMV Flock Mistress

    6,771
    130
    281
    Apr 15, 2009
    The last pic is the gizzard. Why is is the wrong shape though? Is it just the way you are holding it? It should look like a rounded out lima bean. It should also be very firm.
     
  4. BaGAWK!!

    BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

    228
    0
    89
    Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Ok, I thought that was the gizzard. It was not firm, it was squishy. I think I remember making a cut in it. That probably what's making it lose it's shape. Ya, I just looked again, the part that the fly [nasty] would be looking at is a cross section of it. I don't recal there being a space inside where there was food. Or even a space at all.

    So, it seems like the mass was located in the proventriculus. Are there any known disorders that can cause this? My vet asked if I offered any grit and thought maybe that would have helped (she's not a chicken dr). She was free range though so should have been picking up her own. Thoughts?
     
  5. CMV

    CMV Flock Mistress

    6,771
    130
    281
    Apr 15, 2009
    She should have gotten plenty of grit during free-ranging. The gizzard should have been quite stiff, not squishy. The gizzard is not much more than a very tough muscle used to grind up food into a usable form.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by