about 5 of my chickens have almost literaly *poof* vanished in the past 3 weeks or so

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickgirl201040, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    Hi All,

I have been having problems with my chickens disappearing lately and I can't seem to find out what it is. they will be there all day and then all of a sudden be gone. When I count ever one in the coop before I lock up at about dusk every night. If it were some thing coming in to the yard I would know because once a coyote came into the yard and the were so loud that I could hear them in the basement ,of the house. If it were a hawk I don't know how because whenever they see a hawk or buzzard they dive for cover and there would be feathers. My chickens are very dear to me could u please help I want to know what it is so I can stop it from happening

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's a predator. Probably a fox or raccoon. They work at dusk.

3. Chickgirl201040

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    Yea but could a coon take a 15lb roo and 2 full grow hens in one night

4. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    A coon can EASILY take how ever many chickens he wants, rooster or not. Chickens are no match for them. So you are losing them at night? If so, better double check the security of your coop. If you are losing them in the day, it could be a fox, they are a 24hr threat. I've lost a bunch to daytime fox attacks.

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I would agree on the fox. I have lost ducks, guineas, chickens and roosters to them, and sometimes there is a pile of feathers, other times just a trail of a feather here and there through the woods, and still other times nothing at all, just a missing bird. If you have woods or other dense cover near where the chickens are, they just wait and ambush them. Sometimes they take 1 bird, other time more. Its frustrating, but they are just trying to feed themselves and their pups too. We just have to find a way to convince them to look elsewhere!

6. Chickgirl201040

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    Wow. well I'm losing them about an hour or so before dusk. And if it is a fox it might be that at first they are mistaking it for my dog I have a young husky and then it attacks them and that why I never here anything and then they are gone the next day.

7. Chickgirl201040

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    Yea I understand the feeding the pups but what I don't get is that they are taking my younger smaller birds when I have larger hens that go out farther into the field than the little ones. and what is your way of convincing them to go elsewhere to hunt?

8. Teery

Teery Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Inland Empire So. Cal
    Try and be out with your chickens at dusk if dusk is the time problems seem to be occurring....sit there and watch for awhile......

9. Chickgirl201040

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    okay I will try that thank you

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss.

A very big cat will take one and not leave a trace , smaller predators will leave feathers from a 15 pound bird for sure.. Cats are very patient and will wait hours for a bird to get close enough to take it.. if you have ever watched a domestic cat hunt .. just imagine bigger , they hunt the same way.

What kinda roo did you loose? 15 pounds is bigger than anything i got here and i have jersey giants.

A trail cam can be a great help when ya want to know what is lurking when ya ain't looken.. you would be surprised what lurks in the night.. real surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is what the female fox thinks of DH marking her territory LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I set my cam up 2 hours before this Bob came by, i wan't sure what was taking my ducks from the pond but this confirmed it.. it is the one in the nightime photos above, i caught him and my dogs worked the pen so hard he escaped and i have not had a problem sence then.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by