1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About 95% roosters.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lu King, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    Being new to raising chickens.....I thought I was getting a good deal when I bought 75 baby chicks from a man who had listed chicks for sell on Craigslist at $2.00 each.

My husband and I have been very busy with other things. He usually takes care of the chicks, and has been telling me how big the little monsters were getting. We were very happy and looking forward to be able to give our family and friends the eggs we expected the "girls" to lay.

Well, we had some relatives over today and they asked why did most of the chicks have "spurs" and a few of the others didn't? We had never noticed those things before, so we had no answer.
    We know now!

The guy is still selling baby chicks on Craigslist....and I guess he will probably find someone else to buy them, because we certainly won't be buying from him again.

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    How old are they?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you'll be filling your freezer in a couple of months. WOW and 75 of them.

Don't feel badly.

My first incubation attempt only brought me 12 chicks from 41 eggs. Of the 12 it appears that only 3 or 4 are pullets. Guess we'll learn to eat home grown chicken... or sell some of the more beautiful roos.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:please dont think that spurs are only on the roosters.... my polish hen and my lehorn hen have spurs.... its not uncommon for the hens to have them as well

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    got pics? maybe we can help, my girls have leg bumps, you can't sex a chick by that,

6. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Quote:Thats why I asked how old. If they are very young you can't sex them that way.

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    "Spurs" on the young chicks mean nothing. Most of them have bumps on their legs, and it can not be correlated with sex. There is no way to truly sex a young chick unless they are vent-sexed by an expert at one day old. Unless the guy was buying "just cockerels" from a hatchery, I doubt he sold you all cockerels. I would not pass judgement on him until 3 months or so of age.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Please post some pics!!!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, pictures along with age of suspected chicks would help.

If they are under 2-3 months old, you'll be looking at combs for early indicators. Spur bumps mean nothing, and spurs can often be on girls and boys as adults. You may have a pile of girls yet!

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If the chicks were inbred or hatchery stock, they may have spurs no matter the sex. Almost all of my hatchery birds have spurs on them and have showed signs even as baby chicks. Rely on behavior as they get older or looks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by