... about a Silkie Breeder named Joe Hadden? UPDATED with Pic's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Icarus Crows, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Icarus Crows

Icarus Crows Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Earlier in the year I bought a trio of fairly nice Silkies which have thrown some nicer chicks. The breeder I bought them from told me they are from pure Joe Hadden stock. Have any of you Silkie breeders heard of him?
    Not the best pics but these are my approx. 4 month old pullets who's body conformation I really like. These pics do not show what I see when they are acting natural (tight little powder puffs with short backs). Their toes have excellent separation with feathers right down the inside and center toes, with no hard feathers in their tails.[​IMG] This next is the smaller of the two sisters and I love her body conformation the best.[​IMG] [​IMG] I think both of these girls would probably throw some ready for prime time chicks if mated to a cock from somebody like Puff N Stuff. The heads on those birds are incredible! This is the cockerel from the same brood- not sure I am going to breed him though his toes,tail,and especially comb are a vast improvement over his fathers.[​IMG]
    You know, I just bought these birds to use to brood others but as soon as the first brood hatched I wanted to work to improve the line. I am going to do that with all of my birds, weather layer, meat, or show. I really love these birds- their antics, antagonistic and or sweet natures and the complex language most people don't even suspect they use. Chickens....I get 'em!

Thank you BYC folks,

Icarus

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    He was a silkie breeder several years ago, and his little boy got really sick from something mysterious so they were busy with that I think and most of the proceeds from the birds always went to the fund for his son. Then, I heard he (in the last few years) had a fire and lost all the birds or something to that effect. (I do not recall specifics so I could be wrong)
    Anyway, recently in the last year, I believe he was trying to start back up with the silkies, and had just a few. He always had very nice birds that I recall, I remembers photos I had seen. If you have pure Hadden stock, I would say thats great!
    Someone might have more information than I.

3. Icarus Crows

Nov 12, 2008
    Thanks Smokey,

I Knew these birds were fairly nice, I just googled Joe Hadden and wow... There are many references to him and it all meshes with what the breeder I bought them from, as well as what you just wrote, told me about him. Judging by some of the chicks my birds are throwing I have no reason to disbelieve her (which is also awsome because I thought she was a nice lady). Lucky me!

4. Well, where are the pics?! [​IMG]

5. Icarus Crows

Nov 12, 2008
    Called out by Jenna-rightly so. I love this place and have not even given fellow members the courtesy of a proper introduction! Epitome of the Gen-X slacker, though I and those I know don't often slack.
    I'll get some picks on ASAP. In addition to everything else I have been trying to get my brooder house finished so I don't have anymore chicks in the house. Until I end up with more in the house...that is.
    After not having chickens since I was a kid I have gone from two to a hundred within a year.
    Does anyone know if there's a twelve step program for this kind of thing?

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    No 12 steps on this board, only enablers [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I would seriously be interested in eggs if you ever have any.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Oh wow! Lucky!

I am more then happy to get in line for some as well [​IMG]

Yet another excuse to hatch more eggs, and have fuzzy butts in the house. [​IMG]

9. Icarus Crows

Nov 12, 2008
    I'm not quite ready to let any eggs go yet. Maybe this spring when these young girls come on line and I have a better idea of what I am dealing with.
    Thank you all for you're responses and interest.

Icarus

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Very nice looking birds. Looks like they have some NICE black to them. My Silkie Oprah has some brown under her black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by