? About Avia Charge

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens have started pecking at eachother really badly. They get layer feed w/ 16% protein and BOS free choice. I've added extra roosts outside, and removed my roo since he was causing problems. Nothing seems to be helping. I've also gotten a dog crate to remove the hen who I think is causing most of the trouble.

I ordered some Avia Charge in hopes that extra vitamins will help too. Not too many goodies outside to peck at with the winter weather right now. Can I just add it to their regular waterer or should I set up a seperate waterer with the vitamins for them?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    You can add it to their water (only water source) but if they do not drink it (you will have to monitor this) then I suggest you put it in a bit of cooked oatmeal (just enough to make the feed clump together) as the birds will often protest at a change of taste in their water and refuse it.
    Do they have enough room if they are cooped? Boredom and too little room make for grumpy gals who in turn peck at each other.
    Avia Charge at regular intervals (especially during times of heat or cold stress) is always a good idea.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the help. I think they have enough room. I currently have 13 hens in a 7'x8' coop. The problems started when I removed our roo into seperate quarters. Even with saddes he was rubbing my hens raw, so I needed o take him out of the coop, so their backs could heal. I have a very small, noisy, bossy australorp who I think is causing the problems. She's the only hen who isn't missing neck or tail feathers.

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by