About Black Australorps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brightonchicks, Aug 20, 2014.

1. brightonchicks

brightonchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    What size eggs do they produce?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My Aussies produce fairly large brown eggs. :)

3. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    Thank you, I hear they are very friendly. Do you find that to be true with yours?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, extremely friendly! Very docile and affectionate. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or a nice soft lap to sit on. I can't sit anywhere without and Aussie on my lap! :)

5. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    Did you raise them from chicks?

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes I did. I handled them a lot as babies and when they were only a week or so old, I was getting them outside in an enclosure with me sitting with them. They instantly took to my lap for safety and never forgot how much comfort a lap can give! So now I have all these chickens begging to sit all over my legs and lap, all fighting to see who can sit closest to mommy! Ha!

7. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    That's adorable! My Aussies are a few days old. I need to spend more time with them!

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Definitely spend as much time with them as you can. As babies in the brooder, get them out on the living room floor and they will be all over you. They naturally see you as momma and stay close. This will help with the bonding and really trains them up to be lap sitters. :)

(always supervise chicks when you have them out on the floor or outside. Never leave them unattended, lock up all dogs and make sure the small children do not step on them) :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  9. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    Thank you for your responses, that's exactly what I am looking for in raising my backyard chickens. I have 4 right now that I got about a month ago, 1 is a RIR but not sure about the others. They were already about a year old or so and I am working on trying to gain their trust, but when I am able to get a few more I will be sure to look for baby Aussies and spend alot of time with them so I can really enjoy my chicken pets.[​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times when you bring home adult birds, they can be very shy and skittish around you. The best thing you can do is go sit in the run with them, on their level of the ground. Food is a wonderful bonding agent, so bring goodies with you. Sprinkle some all around you, try to hand feed them. Move slowly around them, talk quietly to them and keep the general stressors down around the coop. Do this daily for several weeks and eventually they will warm up to you. Starting with chicks is always better, but you can tame up adult birds as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by