1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? about Black Copper Marans X's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinahomegrown, May 11, 2011.

1. carolinahomegrown

carolinahomegrown New Egg

May 1, 2011
    The guy i bought some of my chickens from bred his BCM rooster to a Barred Rock, a RIR, and Black Sex Link hen. When i got mine they were a little under two months old and every pullet/cockerel in the pen was either barred, red, or black, so im assuming the same as their respective mothers. Just curious about this, wondering if possibly sex linked traits or what, i'm relatively new to chickens and appreciate any instight, thanks.

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    out of the barred hens, they will produce barred chicks only in the male offspring when bred to a non-barred rooster

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    If you knew which chicks came from the barred rock hen, there would be sexlink traits. But all bets are off since he also had a BSL hen. Now that they are all mixes, you can't breed for sex linked traits. The parents have to purebred (or at least a crossbreed of 2 breeds of the same color always, no recessive colors) for it to work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by