? about breeding frizzles

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
hi guys.. me again.. with more questions... lol...

after reading more and looking closer, i think my poor little frizzle has the brittle feathers.. she's got a lot of them broken off at the shaft.. i'll see if i can get pictures later.. she's also just not as full as she should be... i think she might be one that came from 2 frizzled parents...

question is this... is it safe to breed her with a regular cochin roo??
when this happens there's nothing wrong with their health right?? she behaves just like her sisters.. and seems to be fine...
assuming healthwise she's fine to breed, will she have the same chance of having frizzled chicks as a 1 genes frizzle?? or will her chicks have the brittle feathers too??
my s-i-l wants some frizzles now that my mom showed her what they are and i would love to be able to send her some eggs later down the road... but i wnt to make sure it's going to be okay for both dopey and her chicks... if it's not safe i'll find a way to keep her away from the roos...
oohh dear.... what kind of mess will i have when my little mf d'uccle guy breeds with her??
maybe i should go ahead and split off the d'uccle pair.. lol...

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't breed her at all. I would think her frizzled chicks would have the same kind of frizzling as the hen. It 's not something I'd want to pass on. It won't necessarily affect their health, but the chicks won't have desirable frizzling. Maybe someone with more knowledge in the frizzle gene will chime in.

Hi Evonne! You should be fine breeding her to a smooth rooster (non-frizzled).
IF she is Frazzle / Curly / double copy of Frizzle gene, I *think* all her chicks will be frizzled.
I got 2 Frazzle / Curly / double copy of Frizzle gene Cochin girls in an order from Ideal a couple of years ago and most, if not all, of their chicks were frizzled. The hens were pitiful little things, but their chicks were fine.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Very interesting, Lisa. I'm glad you chimed in. I'd never have thought, and would be too afraid to try.
I've got a frazzle girl who is just pitiful. Her feathers are so brittle. She loses all of her feathers, then they try to grow back, then she loses them again. They're in the process of growing right now. I'm hoping she can keep them for winter. She's healthy in every other way, just looks like a naked little hen pecking around with her buddies.

oohh awsome.. i'm so glad to hear that... now the question is... how does color come into play with breeding... my big chickens are all splotchy colors.. except my leghorn and my BR.. well.. they're EEs... not solid color so.. meh.. whatever...

but with the cochins... i have...
godlie, she's the redish brown.. not sure what it's called...
grumpy, she's black, with that little bit of green shimmer
dopey, she's black frizzle

personally i'm not a huge fan of the black fuzz balls...
and i really really want to get a MF Roo and a hen eventually..
but how does crossing colors work??
if i do get a black roo, what will the chicks from goldie be?? will they either be black or red/brown, or will the be mottled??
maybe i'll just wait till i have enough money to get some of the MF eggs and hatch those and see what i get.. lol.. i don't want too many roos anyway... so 1 MF roo can take care of all of the little girls... lol

*wanders off to find a place to start stashing quarters*

Hi Paula! They get their feathers broken especially quickly in a pen with a roo. I gave my 2 Frazzle / Curly / double-F (homozygous) girls to someone with an all-hen pen and they died young.
I still have Chaps , the other black Frizzle Cochin I got in that Ideal order --- she is still healthy and lays well at 4 1/2 years old.
I read in Hutts Genetics of the Fowl,
"Secondary Effects of F. Since homozygous frizzles are usually more or less naked, except when a new coat of plumage has just been acquired, it is to be expected that loss of the normal insulation would cause some disturbances of the physiology in such birds...
One would naturally expect the homozygous frizzle fowls to eat more feed than normal ones in order to compensate for their extra heat loss, and some evidence was found that they do so...
...Other Effects. In mature, homozygous frizzles, the heart is larger and beats more rapidly than in normal fowls (Boas and Landauer, 1933, 1934). The difference in females was 72 beats per minute, an increase of 27 per cent over the rate for normal fowls. It was attributed to the higher rate of metabolism in frizzles. Landauer and Upham (1936) found that in homozygous frizzles there was an increase over normal in the relative weight of the heart, blood, spleen, kidneys, adrenals, pancreas, crop, and gizzard and in the relative capacity of the duodenum, small intestine, caeca, and large intestine...
...According to Landauer and Aberle (1935), the thyroid gland and adrenals of homozygous frizzles are not normal in structure. The thyroid shows exhaustion atrophy attributed to overwork in the effort to maintain body temperature by a higher metabolism....
"

I thought that was interesting and a darn good reason not to ever hatch eggs from Frizzle x Frizzle.

Hi Evonne! Sorry, I'm no good at what you'll get from crossing colors.

smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
She's a blue barred...she's just a little bleached from the sun. I haven't gotten around to candling yet, but I'll let you know when I do!

Quote:
Keep her WARMER than you need to keep others. And yes you can breed her to a straight feathered bird like a cochin - ALL the progeny will be Frizzled if she's a (curly/frazzle) double gened bird.

They can be kept and bred. Work on warmth, try extra protein and some omega 3 oil source to help with feathering. No her offspring won't be unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom