1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

??? about breeding old english game bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littleleeranch, Sep 28, 2010.

1. littleleeranch

littleleeranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    i have black old english, blue old english, and self blue old english.....and bb red old english....can i cross any of these breeds to get another breed of old english??....thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hey. I'm sorry it will just be a cross breed. But, crosses make good chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. littleleeranch

Sep 21, 2010
    what about other old english game....what breeds can cross to make other old english game breeds?

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    It will still be an old english, but the verities will be different and might not breed true in the generations to come.

5. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    You can use the black to make better feather quality in your self blues. It will take 2 generations to start getting self blues.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Black X BB Red will produce Brown Reds. You spoke of producing "another breed of Old English". There is only one breed of old English but there are a number of varieties.

7. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    There are around 40 varieties of Old English Bantams out there.They all came from crossing varieties of Old English.If you want another variety of these birds it is much easier and you will get better quality if you just go to someone that has been working on a certain variety.And you can avoid all of the culls in the process.

8. littleleeranch

Sep 21, 2010
    oh ok i c...will it breed true on the bb red to the black old english on the first breeding??....is it bb red roo n black hen or black roo and bb red hen? thanks

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    BB Red Cock X Black hen will produce all Brown Red pullets & a mixture of BB Red & Brown Red cockerels. The Brown Reds will breed true.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    can spangles be crossed with anything? I just have the spangles I'm not planing on any others just curious.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by