About Broody????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brian461, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    I am on day 20 with my eggs in the incubater and i am getting my broody ready what is a good temp for them to be in. I am sitting at about 95-97 right now.

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I guess I'm a little confused as to wether your hen is actually broody or not?

If she is actually broody and in her own private place, then she will determine if in fact she is ready to sit.

You definitely can't make a hen sit if she is not ready.

Just some questions that your post didn't make clear....best of luck.

Why would you bother with hatching eggs, if you indeed have a broody hen?

bigzio

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    I have my eggs in a incubater and i have to move them to a hott spot untill i can turn my light off of them!!! I was asking what is a good temp to put on the baby chicks when they hatch?

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    99.5 and then slowly drop temperature a few degrees each day

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I think he meant he is getting his brooder ready. Broody automatically makes us think of a hen. For the first week,the temp should be close to 99. As the chicks feather out,you can decrease the temp by a few degrees. You can watch the chicks to see if the temp is right. If they bunch up on top of each other,they are probably cold. If they scatter to every corner and pant,they are too hot. It's a good idea to keep the light on one end,allowing them to get away from it if they get warm.What kind of eggs are you incubating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by