? About chick food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brie6895, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Brie6895

Brie6895 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Magnolia Springs, AL
    What ages do I need to start changing my chicks food from chick starter feed to the other kinds.
    Also how long will chick grit be usable? Are there different kinds of grits to slowly change them too just like their food? Thanks

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    There is chick grit and adult grit. Adult grit is just bigger, so maybe once they are older than 8wks you can give them that? Grit lasts...probably forever lol Mine are 17wks old and I have a ton of chick grit.

Keep your chicks on starter food until they are at least 8wks old. Then you can put them on grower feed but you do not have to, starter feed is fine. Do NOT put them on layer feed until they are close to laying age, 18-20wks.

Here is a great blog post over the topic http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Chicks don't need grit if they only get chick or grower feed. You need to add grit when you add hard food like grains, nuts and seeds to their diet

4. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

aggiemae and ChirpyChicks1 are both spot on. Starter/grower has more protein and less calcium. Layer has less protein and more calcium for good egg shell formation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by