1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About coccidiosis symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PunkinPeep, Nov 21, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My flock first hit the ground a little less than two weeks ago, so i've been watching for cocci symptoms.

Yesterday and today, i didn't get to pay as much attention as normal, but when i went to shut them in for the night, one of my girls, an 11 1/2 week-old barred rock pullet, was doing the fluff up and huddle in the corner thing. So i looked on the roost and saw a couple of puddles of blood.

I've been waiting for this possibility and immediately gave them a good Corid dose in their water. And then i got the sick chick and made her drink, which she did when i stuck her beak in the water - but not otherwise.

My question - when i picked her up to kind of look her over, i noticed that she is actually dripping watery blood from her back side. And i realize that she either didn't display symptoms like i was looking for - or i just missed the earlier stages. I'm honestly not expecting her to make it through the night. But could this be a symptom of something else - besides coccidiosis?

I've never read anyone say their birds were actually dripping blood -just that there was blood in the stool. Blood in the stool, i've seen before with a different flock. But this is very watery, both dripping from her and in the puddles on the roost.

Your thoughts?

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Could she have been attacked by a predator? I've lost hens to RATS of all things. They seem to love to attack the vent area for some odd reason. I found one hen dead on the floor one time, and a rat crawled out of her rear right there in front of me. Gross![​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:wow! that's disgusting! [​IMG]

I didn't pull back her feathers or anything, so i guess i can't say for sure. I will have to check in the morning if she's still with us. It does seem strange, doesn't it?

4. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Back then, we had a problem with what my husband called "river rats." They were HUGE! We had a couple of barn cats, and the rats killed one of the cats. Fortunately, as strange as it may sound, we then had a population explosion of coyotes and bobcats. They were probably feeding on the giant rats. I haven't seen one of those huge rats in years, and if I ever do again, it will be too soon!

Your baby may have some other sort of injury, or it could be a disease process. It's hard to be sure with chickens. [​IMG]

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Dee, i'm starting a new thread. It's not cocci. Thanks for getting me to look. I don't think it's river rats either. [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Wondering if there is a broken egg in there...

7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:She's only 11 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by