? about cochin roos that cannot be rehomed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jul 10, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have 4 9 week old cochin chicks that are growing up to be roos. [​IMG] Do to CRD in my flock I cannot rehome them. My uncle said "eat them". I am not attached to them. I just do not know how old to let them get before slaughtering them.

Anyone have suggestions???? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't do Cochin so I cannot speak to them specifically. I start eating mine around 15 weeks old and basically do one or two a week until they are gone. I pefer to have them on the hoof instead of in a freezer in case of a power outage, which sometimes happens here. By 15 weeks, mine have enough meat on them to make it worth the effort to me.

With my roosters, I can fry or grill them at 15 to 16 weeks, roast them at 17 or 18 weeks, but after that I switch to a slow moist method of cooking. They never get too old to cook. You just have to change your cooking methods to match the age.

Good luck! And thanks for being a responsible chicken owner. We need more like you. [​IMG]

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Quote:Well thank you. That is great info. My uncle will have to do the deed. I have helped with the plucking. I will have to do them all at once. It will be sad but I do not want them to go to waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by