? about different combs on my ameraucana's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Poison Ivy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have 3 ameraucana's chicks and two have the same pea looking comb but the other one has a very different comb. It looks to be a single comb. Is that possible? Is it a mixed or cross breed? All the pictures I've seen they have a pea comb anybody know different?

pea comb
    [​IMG]

Single comb?
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That does look like a single comb to me. Interesting. And that one probably will not lay blue/green eggs, but brown instead. The pea comb and the blue egg gene are closely linked, I'm told.

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    That chick is just like your avatar. Daring to be different. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    The egg that it hatched from was a very pale green almost white. So you think it might be a cross? Or do they sometimes come with a single comb?

5. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:Now that you mention it! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

You know, I've never heard of one coming out with a single comb unless it was a crossbreed. An Ameraucana, to my knowledge, never has a single comb, unlike some of the Wyandottes who pop up with it sometimes. Maybe some genetics person can tell us more. I have two EE/Barred Rock cross pullets, both with single combs and they both lay pinkish tan eggs, one with lavender speckles on it sometimes. In their case the EE was the sire.
    I found this mention of single combs as a fault in Ameraucanas:

Caution should be exercised when purchasing what some hatcheries, online auction sellers or breeders are claiming to be "purebred Ameraucanas". Unfortunately many breeders and hatcheries still aren't breeding according to the APA Ameraucana standard and have off colored plumage, beaks and shanks, single combs, missing muffs and/or beards and so on. These people are not necessarily being deceptive, rather uneducated about the breed. On the other hand some hatcheries have been enlightened by ABC members but apparently seem indifferent about the false advertising and continue to sell their birds under an erroneous and misleading name.​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  7. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I sent her a email asking her about it with pictures of the two chicks. I don't think she will email me back but maybe she will. I'll let you know what she says if she does. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  8. speckledhen

Sounds like I want to hear her answer. Let us know.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A single comb is a recessive trait in chickens, so it is possible to get a single comb after crossing two pea combed birds, just means both parents were carrying the single comb gene but didn't show it since they also had the dominant gene in them.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Somebody's definitely hiding something in their genes. Nice "show quality" there. [​IMG] It would be interesting to hear their response.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by