? about eggs for eating... fertlized eggs? new to all this

Elven Dreams

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
North Carolina
Hi all,

I have a quick question about eggs. I am hoping to have mostly hens for laying and having eggs to eat.
big_smile.png
If I have a rooster in there with them, the eggs will most likely be fertilized, correct? Can I still eat these eggs? I was always told not to eat fertilized eggs...

Should I make a seperate area for the rooster(s) to live and forage?

Thanks for any advice and I hope this is in the right place on the board.

You can safely eat fertile eggs. There is no taste difference. Just make sure you collect the eggs regularly. There is no reason to seperate your roo.

Thanks! I have always heard not to eat them.. but then realized that everybody on here has all their chickens together! lol So I figured.. it MUST be okay! lol

I wish I could remember the reasoning behind not eating them..........
idunno.gif

It's a misconception, I think or maybe an old wives tale. It's safe and there's no difference in taste. I grew up eating brown fertile eggs as a kid and my mom left them on the counter for 1-2 weeks, never had a problem then and I refridgerate mine, so no problem there.

I wish I could remember the reasoning behind not eating them..........

Ignorance, more than likely!
lol.png
Lots of people around here are the same way and will go so far as to scoop out what they perceive is the "jizz" in the egg so as to not eat roo "stuff". No doubt this originated in some man's mind......
roll.png

Last edited:
great! That was another question about eggs that I pondered... refrigeration. I always keep eggs refrigerated but someone I was house sitting for had me gathering eggs and they told me to just leave them all in the sink... I was
idunno.gif
... So it's okay to leave them out?

My uncle gets eggs from us and is adament about NO REFRIDGERATION. He thinks it makes them not as fresh. Unless the climate is right for incubation, then there are no worries.

Quote:
lol.png
Lots of people around here are the same way and will go so far as to scoop out what they perceive is the "jizz" in the egg so as to not eat roo "stuff". No doubt this originated in some man's mind......
roll.png

yuckyuck.gif
Yep sounds manly!

I eat fertilized eggs almost cluck every day cackle cackle. Nothing cluck bad cluck has happened to cackle me yet.
big_smile.png

lol.png
roll.png

yuckyuck.gif

Sure, everybody on here eats them all the time and we generally are healthy as horses and look just like this couple below:

droolin.gif
ep.gif

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom