?? About feeding raw to pups

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
DH and I are trying to estimate how much it is going to cost when we add the new GSD. More puppy shots, more heartworm preventive, more toys, more food.
roll.png

Right now, the feeding program that is working well for us is that about 80% of Jax's food is raw or prepared by me. We still use some kibble, but only to supplement the chicken and beef. I bake his cookies and his liver baits.
At what age will the new pup be able to also have the raw? I think I know the answer, but wanted to ask to be sure.
He'll be 8 weeks old when we get him.

I started my pup on raw after I felt he had acclimated to the house. No need to add too many stresses on him at the same time. There are breeders that start puppies on raw, so it is never too early.

We start ours on raw from the get go
smile.png
An 8 week old puppy is capable of eating raw meaty chicken bones, livers, gizzards, etc....
We have a large hispanic food market here and I find all sorts of goodies for the dogs for super cheap. We live at a feedyard and I go down to processing and pick up horn tips and you should see the fights over those
roll.png

I take ground beef and puree carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, and whatever other fruits & veggies we've got on hand and make little balls with the ground beef and freeze them. Pull some out and thaw and puppies looove them. A puppy can start on a raw diet as soon as they are old enough to eat other things besides mamas milk.

Back
Top Bottom