? about fermented feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aafairchild, Sep 30, 2012.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

I read the thread in meat birds about fermented feed and decided to try a batch. I think mine took longer due to the brand of ACV I used. It has been percolating for several days stirred often. It still smells like fresh bread so assume it is safe to feed. I gave my 6 week old girls a few spoonfuls today and wow they hit the stuff like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat.

1. Is there any real limit to how long feed can ferment and still be safe?
    2. Did I actually get fermented feed? (house temp stays around 80 degrees)
    3. Can I speed this process up a bit by getting ACV that has the good mother probiotics in it?
    4. What type of feeder works best for FF? I took mine out on a paper plate as a test feed not a long term solution.

Girls are all bright and alert so I think they are fine but don't want to give them any more until I am sure this feed is OK.
    If this works I may start my new kids on fermented feed as soon as they arrive as well as continuing my current girls on it since they seem to love it.

Thanks all,
    Alice

2. Eowyn2

Eowyn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Did you use unpasteurized unfiltered ACV? If so, you already used the "mother" to start your feed.

From what you describe, you did get fermented feed. I just started mine Sunday night, and I'd describe its smell as a combination of rising bread and sour smell. Has a healthy smell to it, not a rotten smell. Like your birds, mine have hoovered it up. I'm just using pie tins for now; I saw people using trough-type feeders on the million-page fermenting for meaties thread. I might go that route someday, but honestly the pie tins work fine for me.

From a scientific standpoint, there should be no limit as to how long the feed sits and ferments and its safety, as long as you keep it from getting contaminated/spoiled by a different microorganism. Adding fresh feed every few days as you take out the feed you give to your girls is a good way to keep it going just fine. I'm going to post a thread about the microbiology and biochemistry of fermented feed once I've done some more research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by