I just thought I'd share this since there are two threads here about fire ants. Fire ants don't bite, they sting! and it HURTS like, well, FIRE. We have had several run-in's with the devil things and have discovered that a bleach and water solution, used within the first few minutes, takes the pain away. I just wet a wash cloth with water, kind of drippy, dump a little bleach on it and wipe the bitten area. We were told about this by our local Cooperative Extension office and they said that a spray bottle works well too. Just don't get it on your clothes!