? about free ranging and nearby flocks!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tigertrea, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Songster

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I have a flock that lives 3 houses away from me (about 360' down the road). They free range on occasion and sometimes come as close as 80' from where my chicks are currently housed. I have yet to see them this year next door to my place since one of the neighbours between us got a dog (who is so far fine with those chickens, one actually cuddles up to the dog LOL). There are no fences where I live. I rent so building a fence is not cost-effective for me and we are not "technically" allowed to have any electric fences by town by-laws. There are at least 2 roos in the other flock.

Luckily I got 2 roos in my order so, I now have one (will cull one) to protect my girls. My question is....how likely is it I'll "lose" hens to the other flock if I let mine range?

My landlord/next-door neighbour is eager to see my chickens free range and keeps asking me when I'll let them out. (he used to have chickens and misses them lol)

2. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I have a flock of 19 hens and one rooster that I let out every day to free range. My mother has 5 hens that free range also in the same area. Her hens do not socialize with mine at all and I have never seen my rooster trying to breed with her hens. I'm not saying you will not lose any hens to the other flock, but so far we haven't had any problems. I even hatched out 4 chicks from my eggs with my moms hen and she didn't know the difference and those 4 chicks now roam together now they are big enough to do without the mom's protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: