? About Frizzles!

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi all,
I have a question about Frizzles. They say that not all of the chicks will have the frizzle feathers, but about 1/4 of them will and the others will be the regular cochin feathers. You will probably think I'm a real dufus but I am terrible at math, always have been so how many chicks will be frizzled if say I got 4 white, and 6 each of two other colors. Help me please!
hide.gif

Math will not help in your situtation. The percentage applies to how many will hatch from a smooth to Frizzle breeding. Some hatcheries do not breed that way and some of the chicks can come out Curly or over Frizzled. You may be lucky and the people packing you box might have thrown in all frizzles or no frizzles. There is no way to tell until the wing feathers start to come in 7-10 days should tell the tale.

Just know that any smooth bird from a frizzle breeding will carry the gene and is important to your future breeding program. Breed that smooth bird to a Frizzle and your percentage of Frizzles will increase.

Thanks for your replies!
I ordered my chicks from Murray McMurray and they make a note to this effect {I had it backwards}

PLEASE NOTE: The frizzle feathering of these unique birds does not show as baby chicks. Because the frizzle trait does not breed true, approximately one fourth of your baby frizzle chicks will develop normal feathering and the others will be frizzled.
So I'm hoping by this that I should have some Frizzles
smile.png
They are so neat!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom