About goats breeding program

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by adorable, Feb 9, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Just wondering how many goats do you have?HOw many bucks do you keep ?IF you keep more than one do you keep your does for next year breeding with the other buck that isnt related.?HOw do you guys go about your breeding program.?

2. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    I keep 10-12 does adn 2-3 bucks. Sometimes I retain a kid, and sometimes not.
    I keep that many bucks so that I can mix and match breedings....and also to keep each other company since they are always separated from the does

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I have one buck right now, but I've had as many as 5. In this area, there are usually other bucks available to use. Bucks eat a lot and are only useful for one thing...

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    THanks. I was thinking of getting another buck . My girlfriend said it wasnt a good idea to have 2 bucks on the same property. I really didnt know why. Can i keep to bucks together in the same pen to sleep at night. Or will they fight.??

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They will fight to establish dominance, just like a female goat. Once that is done, they will co-exist peacefully (at least as peacefully as goats do). The best bet is to raise them together, but full-grown bucks can be put together as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by