? about hatching in cartons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhd077, May 9, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I have a question about hatching in cartons....do you cut the bottoms out or leave them as they are?

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Most cut them, I believe. I did when I used this method. I now elevate the rack and hatch on the sides

3. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:Do you like that better than the carton? I hatched on the sides last hatch (1st hatch) but i didn't know about elevating the rack. I didn't get a single chick last time so i was going to do the cartons

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It's all about maintaining the same distance between the heating element and the eggs. Either way works... Craptastic, aka Deibraymond, prefers the side hatching... I get good results both ways.

5. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    elevate the rack on hatch days??? what do u guys mean?? [​IMG]

6. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    I just tried the carton and also the cut paper towel rolls to hold in place. I did not like either one.[​IMG] The chicks had such a hard time once they were out. I am back to laying them on their side.

7. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:If you use an automatic egg turner your eggs are closer to the heating element the first 18 day. Then on lock down if you take them out of the egg turner and just lay them on thier sides they are farther away for the heat...dropping their core heat. If you use something ( and im not sure what yet) to elevate the wire rack....make it the same hieght as the egg turner then you don't loose the that core temp. hope that makes since!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just leave the bottoms in the cartons.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:If you use an automatic egg turner your eggs are closer to the heating element the first 18 day. Then on lock down if you take them out of the egg turner and just lay them on thier sides they are farther away for the heat...dropping their core heat. If you use something ( and im not sure what yet) to elevate the wire rack....make it the same hieght as the egg turner then you don't loose the that core temp. hope that makes since!

That would only make sense for a still air...if u have a fan the bator is like a convection oven...no hot spots..

10. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID

That would only make sense for a still air...if u have a fan the bator is like a convection oven...no hot spots..

Oh thanks I forgot to mention that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by