? About Hatching Some Eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tracie70, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Hello,
    I have been really enjoying my chickens. I have been thinking about maybe hatching some of my own. But I wanted to get some information first before I go for it. I have two frizzles hens. They are about a year old. I have a couple of 7 roo's two BR, 2 RIR, 2 EE and 1 BO. They are only 4 months old, so when will I know for sure my frizzles are fertilized and can I use one of these roo's to get a frizzle. Also I noticed that a lot of people hatch their own eggs. What do they do after they hatch and they have roo's. I already have 7 roo's and I am adding to my flock and adding to my coop all the time so I can accommodate these roosters, before they get to aggressive. I just don't have the heart to send them to freezer camp. Thanks for any information

2. I have two frizzles hens. They are about a year old. I have a couple of 7 roo's two BR, 2 RIR, 2 EE and 1 BO. They are only 4 months old, so when will I know for sure my frizzles are fertilized and can I use one of these roo's to get a frizzle.

Hi!
    Any time you mate a frizzled bird with a smooth (non-frizzled) bird, half the chicks will inherit the frizzle gene (be frizzled) and half will not (smooth).

So you could use any of your boys with your Frizz girls to make more frizzles.
    You can use the Frizzle girls and an EE boy to make frizzled green-eggers (assuming your EE carries the blue egg gene) (yaaay! for frizzled green-eggers).

You can tell if the eggs are fertile by looking for a 'bulls-eye' when you crack open the egg. There is a post here with pics that might help.

What breed / color are your Frizzle girls?

What do they do after they hatch and they have roo's.

You could keep them, sell them, or give them away. When I first started hatching eggs, I didn't think I would be able to 'process' my extra males for food. I still don't enjoy processing them, but I feel like it's a responsibility I took on when I made the decision to hatch the eggs.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Problem is that roos are going to fight unless you've got a lot of land and a lot more hens. Even then, they're probably going to fight. There's a reason the word cockerel was shortened and is now used to indicate when someone is being a mean person for no reason. Freezer camp may seem mean, until you see one of your roosters beaten to within an inch of his life by another rooster in your flock, just because he can.

We've been hatching out our own chickens recently, and no matter how cute they are as kids, when they grow up we have homes found for 2 roosters and after that, they are going to be stew and fishing lures. The pelt of a rooster with the right kind of feathers can be sold for enough money to buy another 2-3 hatches of eggs or a few more females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by