? about hatching turkey eggs . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 17, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I just got lucky and am getting free turkey eggs from Miss Prissy. I hadn't planned on getting turkkeys until next spring, (but i figure this way they will be ready to strat laying for me next spring), as a result however i know NOTHING about turkeys.
    I am planning on putting these eggsi a bator with Ameraucan and silkie eggs . . . any problem with that?
    Do turkey eggs accept the same temp and humidity during incubation? Do they take the same # of days?
    I have a seperate pen for them if and when they hatch, but will there be any problem keeping them in the brooder with the chicks?
    advice, suggestions and directions greatly appreciated.

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I run mine at about the same temps, around 99.5 ish and same humidity, but turkeys are 28 days, so you go crazy longer...

Good luck, you will love having turkeys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    thank you!
    So when do I stop turning them?
    BTW your babies there are really pretty.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Stop turning on day 25 (so 3days before hatch day just like chickens) Good luck! Turkeys are great!!

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I have 4 Bourbon Red poults in the brooder with two chicks. All were hatched around the same time. The turkeys are considerably larger, of course, but they get along fine. They snuggle, eat, drink, and play together with no issues.

That could be from the sweet nature of my BRs, but I'm having zero problems brooding them together.

6. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I got my turkey poults and chicks at the same time. I kept them together in the brooder and they are still with the chickens in the coop. No problems till one of the chickens gets to big for their britches and goes and tries to boss the turkey around. Then the turkeys chase the chickens around for a bit and thats it.

7. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    When I incubate turkey eggs I always add chicken eggs as well, timed to hatch out a day or two earlier than the turks. The chicks help teach the poults where the water and feed are. Never had a problem keeping them together. Good luck and congratulations on your eggs!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    gosh darn it. the eggs are arriving the same day as the chicken eggs . . . this is going to be pain as I only have one bator . . . so they go a full week longer, and i am going to have to hand turn while bator is on lock down for three days, i hope the higher humidity doesn't do them in while chicks are hatching; I guess I shuld have asked questions before jumping in! any experience with a difficulty like this?

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    anyone who's juggled them like this before? advice . . . other than think first next time!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You have two alternatives, start them at the same time and do what we call stagger hatch, just go along and treat them the same, but you don't get lockdown, you turn the turkey eggs during that time and fish out the chicks when they're done.

Or you hold the chicken eggs for a week, then add them so they go at the same time.

If you've never stagger hatched I'd recommend the latter.

I do it, but it can yield decreased hatches depending on how well you hatch in general and luck really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by