? about hawks.

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
When are hawks most likely to hunt? It's mid afternoon right? My neighbors across the street had a hawk in their tree eyeing their free ranging flock yesterday afternoon. We live in a nice wooded area with several predators, hawks/eagles/owls being plentiful. Having a covered strong run is a must! I free range my girls, but mainly in the late afternoon/evening. I'm so afraid of stray dogs and now this hawk, especially my beautiful d'uccle that is tiny. Also, do hawks attack in heavy wooded areas? My girls mainly stay in the wooded areas of our property. The side trees area is the safest. Thanks.

Quote:
This.

There have been autopsies done on hawks that have shown many healed chest injuries from crashing into bushes/trees/etc. after prey.

http://youtu.be/2CFckjfP-1E

1:45
into this next clip is flight in woods. Amazing.

Cover so there is less chance of being seen but if a hawk is hungry and sees a chicken...

The above links really show what they can do in flight, were posted on BYC a few months ago.

Last edited:
Ellie needs to eat more beef.
tongue2.gif

Wow, thanks! Very scary for the chickens. Hopefully that hawk will move on soon. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's around.

Back
Top Bottom