? about hawks.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nicole01, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    When are hawks most likely to hunt? It's mid afternoon right? My neighbors across the street had a hawk in their tree eyeing their free ranging flock yesterday afternoon. We live in a nice wooded area with several predators, hawks/eagles/owls being plentiful. Having a covered strong run is a must! I free range my girls, but mainly in the late afternoon/evening. I'm so afraid of stray dogs and now this hawk, especially my beautiful d'uccle that is tiny. Also, do hawks attack in heavy wooded areas? My girls mainly stay in the wooded areas of our property. The side trees area is the safest. Thanks.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Daylight to dusk..... Yes good cover will help protect your chickens, but there is always the possibility.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Ive seen hawks crash into brush so thick they got stuck! Lock teh birds up until he moves on.....or you will start losing them.

4. sunshyn225

sunshyn225 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:This.

There have been autopsies done on hawks that have shown many healed chest injuries from crashing into bushes/trees/etc. after prey.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    http://youtu.be/2CFckjfP-1E

1:45
    into this next clip is flight in woods. Amazing.

Cover so there is less chance of being seen but if a hawk is hungry and sees a chicken...

The above links really show what they can do in flight, were posted on BYC a few months ago.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  6. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Ellie needs to eat more beef. [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wow, thanks! Very scary for the chickens. Hopefully that hawk will move on soon. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by