? about herbs & supplements - I know we have some experts on BYC

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jan 1, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a question about gingko biloba.
    In addition to my prescribed medications I take Vitamin D3 (3,000 IU @ bedtime) and Vitamin C (1000 mg. in the AM).
    My rheumatologist wants me to also take the gingko, one 60 mg. tablet twice a day. I originally started taking it in the morning, with my vitamin C and one @ bedtime, but I found it makes me wakeful.
    Is it okay to take two of the 60 mg. tablets at once, rather than twice a day? That way I could take it in the evening or at noon and avoid that side effect.

My internist is not crazy about the gingko, but he didn't elaborate. He encourages my use of the Vitamins D3 & C.

My rheumatologist also wants me to take magnesium something-or-other, but I can't find it around here and I don't see the clear benefit of it.

TIA [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe you oughta go see a kinesiologist. They are natural and honest. I go to one in Chicago, and she is the best!! If my doctor ever tries to put me on meds, I go see her. Naturally, she fixes me....maybe one could work for you. I can't help ya' with the Ginko, but I feel strongly about kinesiology--because for almost 10 years, she has fixed me--every time. And in one or two visits tops.......

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ginko is one of the supplements I haven't done much research on unfortunately.

In the case of C and calcium, there is only so much the body can handle at one time so you split the dosage. Otherwise you are just wasting it.

Not sure how ginko works though.

4. I heard on the news last night that it was a waste of money.If your taking it, talk to your pharmist or dr, to be sure it does not interfer with your regular meds. DH is on Couaden and it doesnot work with it. marrie

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, the doctor says it's fine with my regular meds but the internist doesn't see the benefit of it apparently. The rheumatologist said it will help increase blood flow to the brain, helping with the fibromyalgia "fog". It does seem to help, but it also makes me wide awake when I need to sleep. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Please PM me your list of narcotics that you take. My mom was taking ginko and it put her in the hospital because it counteracted with another medication she was taking. Be very careful of herbals when taking Rx drugs. If you take the Vit C at once, the excess will just evacuate your system. The reason you take it twice a day is to give your body a chance to absorb it correctly.

7. debilorrah

Quote:By the way Grits, a Kinesiologist is a doctor of sports medicine. They have their own unique way of curing your ails that in my opinion is more friendly than just another drug.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:By the way Grits, a Kinesiologist is a doctor of sports medicine. They have their own unique way of curing your ails that in my opinion is more friendly than just another drug.

Both of my doctors and my pharmacist know what I'm taking, supplements and prescription drugs, so I'm not worried about it. I don't take a bunch of narcotics. Just the Lyrica and other seizure meds.
    I know what a kinesiologist is. I doubt there's one in all of Arkansas. [​IMG]

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Im not sure about the ginko but as far as magnesium goes I have found it makes a huge difference in my ability to sleep. Im a diabetic and most diabetics are magnesium deficient. I take it at night about an hour before bed. I found that after a week of using it I sleep better with fewer wake ups in the night. If I quit using it I have often wake ups between 1 am and 3am. Good Luck

10. debilorrah

Both of my doctors and my pharmacist know what I'm taking, supplements and prescription drugs, so I'm not worried about it. I don't take a bunch of narcotics. Just the Lyrica and other seizure meds.
    I know what a kinesiologist is. I doubt there's one in all of Arkansas. [​IMG]

You are probably right about that!!!! Is your doctor an MD or a DO? I prefer a DO myself, but the only one around these parts doesn't take my insurance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by