About how long does it take to work out the kinks with new pullets? And are my weird eggs excessive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rhoise, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    I looked at the egg stats tonight and I had 3 pullets start laying in early August at 17-19 weeks old, they are now 22 and 23 weeks old. I consistently get 3-5 good eggs(some smaller but nice hard shelled normal or double yolkers) a day now and have since, had a few 6 egg days.

Out of 112 eggs(in six weeks) layed by 6 pullets maybe 8 that have started or may just be joining the ranks, I have gotten about 18 soft, weird, thin, or shelless eggs. My barred rock still lays small pullet size eggs and they often have double yolks or weird flat sides or wrinkles etc etc...My three RIR's just started laying last week and like when the golden SL girls started a month ago, we are getting a bunch more of the soft eggs in the yard or on the coop floor under the roost. We even got one covered in blood streaks(probley first hard shell from a RIR).

I guess my question is...... Is this normal or excessive for the soft/ no shelled eggs? I hear of a few other peoples weird eggs, but only one or two here and there. Wondering if people just don't talk about the duds much? If i take 18 duds and divide by 6 or 7 pullets that I'm sure are laying or have started to lay, that's only 2 or 3 each? Most folks seem to have normal eggs from the get go, just small ones, or are they just not telling?

Also, around how long does it take for the eggs to get to full size? My Golden SL pullets are laying jumbo's almost daily now, and it only took maybe two weeks for them to go from large size(to start) to jumbo. My barred rock's first egg was almost comical compared to the Golden's, and they haven't really gotten too much bigger(not even med-large size yet and she's been laying for three weeks or so?) RIR's just started last weekend, and their eggs are small but getting bigger by the day....So far today no softy's yet and only one out of six for three days in a row(but three RIR's started up too)

2. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Nah, we had a lot too. I would say half of the eggs in the first two weeks were soft or duds. Mine have been laying 4 or 5 weeks now and I don't think we are quite at full size eggs yet. Maybe in a few more weeks. Depends on the breed too, I have RIR, BSL and a EE laying. The BSL's lay the biggest eggs of all.

3. Rhoise

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    thanks, i was beggining to worry that my chickens were having issues( it's me hahahha) also I checked out an egg quality thread and it had a lot of info but pretty much anything from diet to stress to age to disease can cause egg issues, so it's pretty much the wait, be patient, and see game! ( i'm getting good at this one) hee hee

4. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    as long as you are feeding "layer" pellets or crumbles or have oyster shell available it's all normal. I worried a bit too.

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Often times, the soft shelled eggs get broken & eaten before we ever see them, especially if there are a lot of birds in the coop. Those with fewer birds are more likely to find them because they are less likely to get stepped on & broken to allow the feast to begin.

6. Rhoise

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    your right! My girls thank goodness have never touched a hard shell egg yet, but the broken soft ones they gobble up faster than lightning!!! it's almost scary how they love them...I usually pounce on them and take away or block them from eating brokensoftys, I spray the spot with hose too....But I know they have eaten others when I wasn't there to intervene or was way across the yard and saw them playing chase the treat with one.... ugghh, I just don't want them to figure out whats in the hard ones!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by