About Incubating!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brian461, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Brian461

Brian461 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    Ok i got a incubater last night from my uncle, and i have it running. The humidity is holding about 45% and the digital thermometer is reading 102.2- 101.7, and the thermometer that came with the bator that sits on top of the eggs is reading 98. I dont know if that is good or bad so i dont want to put my eggs in there right now.

Thanks Brian.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the digital thermometer in the same place as the other thermometer?

3. Brian461

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    no i have it on the wall.

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    You could have warm and cool spots in the bator if it's not a forced air-type. When someone tested the LG without air, he found central areas warmer and corner areas were cooler. If that's how your thermometers are reading, i wouldn't worry a whole lot, but if it's not, or if you have forced air in yours you should try and figure out which one is more accurate.

5. Brian461

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    i have the havo-bator 1602n. It has holes in it for air to move throught it.
    It has holes in all four corners top and bottom.

this is the top
    [​IMG].

this inside it.
    [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    If it doesn't have a fan then it is considered a still air.
    Krista

7. Brian461

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleveland,TX
    Thanks for yalls help. The temp. held for 4 hrs so i just put them in. Day 1

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Oh, if I'm not mistaken, some of those holes are for ventilation for hatching and some are for incubating ventilation. Are there plugs?
    Krista

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    FYI, If you put them in after noon then tomorrow is day one. So I was told. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I don't reccomend placing the digital on the wall of the incubator. That area would not represent the temp the eggs are exposed to. does the digital have a probe? if so, stick it on the little card thermometer that came with the bator. If not, place it so it is in the same level as the eggs in between them near the center. The bottom of a still air incubator can read as low as 95 to 97 degrees and the corners and edges even lower, when top of egg temps are around 101. so you need to be very careful with thermometer placement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by