about insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chick'n'run, Apr 4, 2009.

1. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    what are some good ways to insulate a shed if i *maybe* get chantelcers or australorps? do i need to insulate for chantelcers?

2. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    hello? Hello?

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    As long as there are nesting boxes and hay in the cold you're fine- you just want to stop the wind and drafts.

You can stack hay bales around the foundation if you have to, but i wouldnt worry about much more.

Chants are canadian birds i believe, theyre bred to be massively cold hardy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  4. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    cant use haybales, too expensive i think. i'm a city kid just fyi

5. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    so if i do get chants then i don't *need* insulation?

6. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    how many birds are you going to have?

7. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    straw is usually 2 dollars a bale, hay is 3-5. Its free if its old and dusty which doesnt matter for insulation. Its still cheaper than wood shavings- but they'll work too if you have a deep area of it.

Really all that matters is that the wind isnt getting in, and that theres no big drafts. Chickens have down coats, and when they huddle together they produce A LOT of heat. I have 11 6 week old chicks outside in 35 degree temps and theyre just fine in their coop.

8. chick'n'run

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Quote:3-4

9. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    It all comes down to practicality. Its just not practical to insulate a chicken coop- its messy, and expensive and just not worth it. If you only have a couple chickens (like 2 or 4) make a smaller tractor for them so the space for teir bodies to heat is smaller. and in winter buy three hay bales and put one of each of the three sides not occupied by the run.

10. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    How cold does it get? I live in colorado it gets down to -15 here and the only problems i 've had with frostbite is on the combs of lone roosters.. other than that mine just huddle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by