? about Ivermectin Pour On

Wild Chicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
West Michigan
I have a few ?'s about the Ivermectin 5% pour on.....

Is it correct that you can use the Iver. to take care of lice in birds over 4 months of age? Or should I dust them again?

I treated all the birds with the Perm. dust last Saturday....is it correct to redust all birds under 4 months today (7 days after the first dusting)....and I can use the Iver. on the birds over 4 months today as well to treat for the lice? (I just found the Iver. so I had dusted all birds last week but would like to use the pour on, if it takes care of the lice, on those that I can).

How many drops of the pour on?

I also treated last Saturday with Ivermectin paste, on the older birds, for gapeworm......and I'm assuming that the pour on will also work for this?????

And I can give them yogurt today or tomorrow????

I just want to make sure that I am on the right track. The sun is coming out here, so I would like to head out here shortly if someone could just give me a shout as to yay or nay, I would be so grateful
bow.gif
hugs.gif

And as always....thanks
thumbsup.gif

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I have one of my own: Are you sure that your birds still have lice? You said you dusted them last week, do they really need more treatment after that? I occasionally dust my birds with 5% Sevin Dust whenever I find mites on them and it seems that they're fine for quite some time after that. So maybe you don't need to use the pour-on at this time.

Also, it might be easier to catch & treat your birds after dark instead of mid-day. That's what we did when we treated our birds with the pour-on. My little boy would pick the birds off the roosts one by one, and I'd squeeze a little of the Ivermectin on their backs behind their necks between their wings. You can do a search for the doseage, I think it was 1/4 cc for bantams, 1/2 cc for standard sized birds, but please verify that doseage before using. I had a syringe without a needle that I used.

I wish you success with whatever you use!

Looks like Sunny answered most of your questions. I`ve never used the paste, but I wouldn`t use the pour on so soon after. Wait until you find mites or worms before you use the Ivermc again. You are aware that you shouldn`t eat the eggs for a month afterward, aren`t you? The yogurt thing is another issue. Yogurt is good after heavy antibiotics to restore a natural intestinal balance. It isn`t needed after Ivermectin.........Pop

I don't see anymore signs of lice, but I know that I have read somewhere on here that you should retreat for the lice to get any eggs that were formed....just not sure if it's a week, or more.....

Also not sure if I have to retreat for the gapeworm.......symptoms seem to be gone in all but 2 of the chickens.
hu.gif

I have let them all out to free range now (didn't want to do anything until I got opinions), but they are all locked up in their coop/run until I let them out. I've found that it's easier for me to do any treatments during the day because I let each one out of the run as I'm finished with them.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the replies.....
woot.gif

If you dust for mites, then dust again in 10 days to get the hatchlings. Ivermectin will work past that period, so retreating is not needed.

Treating at night is recommended because you can simply pick them of the roost and replace them without chasing them around and causing all parties stress.......Pop

Just to clarify....I used the Ivermectin paste (because I had to order the pour on) last week for gapeworm, as well as the dust for lice. I don't need to retreat with the Ivermectin pour on than for the hatchlings?

And I will switch my way of treating to night.......I don't want to give undo stress to the chickens
th.gif
......seriously didn't even think about that
he.gif

Thanks Pop for the info.

And another question for you Pop, do I need to retreat for the gapeworm? And if so, I'm assuming that the pour on is sufficient?

Thanks bishopschickens
yippiechickie.gif
I know that there are many, many posts on this subject, but it's nice to have it all in one spot when you post your own question!!! I've already spent 3 hours researching.

Ivermectin is systemic and lasts awhile--doesn't matter which form was used. Sevin or permethrin are topical and need to be reapplied in 5-10 days, probably twice (a total of three treatments).

Incidentally, not all mites/lice bite into the bird--some eat the feathers or dander. Ivermectin will not treat for these as they never ingest the "poison." You can make a dip with ivermectin, and it will kill these types as it does make contact through a dip.

I think that the question has been answered well

all except the waiting for a month to eat the eggs

10 days after the treatment is sufficient time to wait not eating the eggs

also DO NOT FEED the eggs to the chickens as it just prolongs the waiting for not medication to be in the eggs.

Ivermectin has been provided by merck for several years in the third world countries for River blindness in river areas.
Where the people live and then they have a seige of eye worms put on the skin by the host carrying the river blindness
and then the kids and people get the river blindness and have to be taken care of for rest of their lives.

Thus Merck company started giving Ivermectin tablets twice a year and the people quit getting the river blindness.

So it is not that harmful to humans. Not that any one would want to injest any ivermectin

So 10 days after medication treatment should be enough then eat the eggs.
email any questions

Back
Top Bottom