About keeping a Rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blondiechic, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Apologies if this has been asked somewhere else, I have looked but can't find information....

Onslow, who was attacked by the dog and survived has turned into a very handsome and friendly rooster - he (now) has been crowing for a week but only first thing in the mornings.

What I would like to know is...

will he become noisier,

will be become less friendly to me or aggressive,

how many chickens would he have to have if I am allowed to keep him and

will he be horrible and rough on my girls?

At the moment we aren't really supposed to keep Roosters, but i have hung a doona horse rug over their house to muffle him in the mornings and no one has said anything. So far!!

I have a home for him to go to but I hate letting anyone go, I really do like him, he is such fun and loves cuddles...

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you saying you rescued, somehow, a roo?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    How old is he and what breed?

He may get louder if he's just a young one and is still growing. He may also crow more. While ours generally only crows in the morning, he also crows if he hears children yelling while playing. Last night, while free ranging with the girls, a woman walked by talking on her cell phone. He crowed at her.

Depending on his age and whether or not he's gone through his "angsty chicken teen" period, he may get aggressive and temperamental. Or he may not. If he does, it may be temporary....but it may not.

He may or may not be horrible and rough on your girls. He may only be horrible and rough to a few them, or he may be the perfect gent to them all.

I'm sorry that I didn't actually answer anything, but unless he's 1+ years old (or at least beyond puberty), it's really hard to peg their dispositions; they can fluctuate so wildly. Again, not ALL do, but you never know what you've got until you've got them. If he continues to be good all around, and the neighbors don't mind, then rock on. But remember, regardless of his disposition, if he annoys someone and you're keeping him illegally, you will always stand the chance of losing him. If possible, you may want to work out a backup plan in case it ever comes to that.

4. Blondiechic

Feb 1, 2012
    Devora - no, he was my she but became a he! So I have had him for 3 months and he was 12 weeks old when I got him (supposed to be a her!)
    Red Drgn - thank you! you were helpful, I think he is a Rhode Island Red and he is very shiny and beautiful! My husband complains the most about him crowing but he is just concerned we will get into trouble. He is about six months old now and the general consensus in my family is to let him go to a bigger farm with more girls and no me as they think he is getting too attached - he has found out that the deck leads to the kitchen (its tiled) so comes to visit and now crows in the morning if my husband lets him out until he sees me - its like having an extra dog!
    I don't really think I know enough to have a rooster and I only have two girls for him since the silkies are in a separate area - one is so flirty with him through the chicken wire though!!

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Do you have a picture of him? Our roo is a NH that just turned 6 months on Tuesday! [​IMG]

The good news about RIRs is that they're one of the quicker maturing breeds and generally get all of the angsty, fiesty, developmental madness through their systems earlier on. So what you've got now in this guy may well be how he's going to be (barring any major changes to his environment, handling, etc.).

If he doesn't crow too much through the day, then you might nip any crowing issues with the neighbors in the bud with a combination of things. One is to keep him in the coop until 7/8AM (if you can...or get an auto-coop door that can do it for you), that way he isn't wailing anyone out of bed at o'dark thirty (with the increase in daylight, ours has gradually been crowing earlier and earlier...yeesh! [​IMG]). If you're on any decent to good terms with adjacent neighbors, you may also want to talk with them. I'm sure they know you've got him by now, but you may want to touch base with them and see how they feel about you having the roo. That way, if someone does have a problem you can try and work out a plan to minimize him bothering them...or if you can't, then you know you need to start looking for a home. Better to go this route than have animal control or the police at your door one day because someone complained.

I've found our rooster to be a real joy (and learning experience), much like the feathered dog analogy you described. While two girls isn't many, if he's not wearing them bald, injuring them, or otherwise stressing them out, then you're alright (not all roos need many hens, and most pick favorites and only pursue them even when they have a wide field to choose from). When it comes down to it, though, do what you think is best for him and within reason for your neighbors and it should all work out in the end. [​IMG]

6. Blondiechic

Feb 1, 2012
    Well, we aren't allowed to keep him - we live in a valley so when he crows it goes up to suburbia and they complain. Miserable people, I would have thought it would be a lovely sound a bit further away from the house!
    Today he left for his new home, I know its a good home, with lots of girls and he will free range on more acres than I have here and they will send me photos but I just cant stop crying - he was so sweet and chatted all day long. I will really miss him. I think its rare to have such a fun, friendly chicken, So upset he turned out to be a boy...he was rather noisy this morning...

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Who knows how hormones will affect the roo. Mine is over a year and super nice.Lol, I can chase HIM around the yard without worry of him attacking when my back is turned.He does crow all day long.Some days more that others.He crows in the am.He crows to call his ladies.He crows when he hears other birds.

If all is legal with your hens I would say keep the roo until you get a complaint unless that means a ticket right away.I keep my chickens in the coop till late am,so atleast the roo isn't annoying the neighbors early early....but annoying is annoying I guess.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Bummer you had to rehome. Consider moving to a less restricted home.I love my yard,but due to restrictions I plan to sell.

9. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters may get aggressive. The key is to nip this in the bud quickly. To do this, don't let him get to treats first, bat him out of the way. Don't be afraid to be sharp with him but not cruel. Don't let him mate with hens in front of you. You have to show him that YOU rule that roost and that YOU are the lead rooster. :)

10. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    I am sorry you had to get rid of him. People are so odd. I love the sound of my roo. He is sooo loud and crows all day! My Neighbors have a Roo and it's like a concert in the morning here. Maybe it's time to move. I used to have a neighbor who had a rottweiler and a little yapper and both barked all day. He actually complained about my roo. I was stunned. He moved to the country, next to our farm with dogs who barked all day and had the nerve to complain about my animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by