? about llamas

lacymarie0526

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
I would love to have llamas but my husband is affraid that they will scare the deer and elk away. What do you think?

How far is away? Would they be in the same pasture? My llama is in an enclosed area on our property, so nothing gets in with her or my pets, but the deer walk right by her - and are more afraid of the dogs who bark than her? Maybe someone with a large pasture situation would know? My llama doesnt scare anything.

There are some llamas (I have one) that are great guard animals and "might" see a deer/elk as a predator to chase away. However, I think most llamas would be merely curious and then ignore deer and elk after checking them out. I think the deer/elk may be more afraid at first but, if not chased by the llama, they would soon ignore the llama also.

We just got a pair last Moday, and we still have deer coming through our lot. A buck was right near the fence and it was fine with the llamas being so close. One of our neighbors has 2 male llamas, and the big herd of elk regularly hops the fence and shares the pasture during the spring. I think the deer and elk will still come around.

Sonja

I have 2 neighbors with llamas and last year a deer gave birth to her fawn right in the brush next to the llama run
smile.png

My hubby was pretty annoyed with the fact that we were getting llamas, but you can't complain when the llamas were free! As soon as they were out in their pasture he had a change of heart. I think he's been spending more time with them than I am. lol They're very easy keepers, and the pair got are great with our kiddos, dogs, and loose chicken who escaped the run and wandered into the pasture.

Sonja

If you live in a whitetail deer area (I'm not sure if other breeds carry it), Meningeal Worm can be fatal to llamas, and is spread by deer. You need to worm with injectable Ivomec or dectomax every 4-6 weeks. Of course, you would need to talk to a camelid vet to be sure.
wink.png

I totally let my husband be the person to decide on the llamas at our household. I just sat back and watched him fall in love with them. They are as fun as the chickens to just sit and watch. I hope you are enjoying them. Here is our latest that we did with our guys.
Our American Hero is the one on the left who won the heat and LeRoy Brown is the chocolate one in the back. There was another llama running that heat but I guess he was way behind in the running.

Back
Top Bottom