? about lost title on Honda motorcycle

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Hubby got his motorcycle yesterday and we do not have the title to it. The motorcycle was purchased/trade? possibly from an auction by his aunt, which she is now deceased over 20 years. When his aunt got the bike, she never did transfer it to her name and from what I did remember seeing that title posted on hubby's bedroom wall, it was owned by a guy in Illinois. Since it was bought from an auction, I have no idea if this previous owner is alive or not.

When hubby's aunt passed away, he got the motorcycle and fixed it up a bit and then into a very long storage. It is a 1974 Honda BC360, copper and black in color. Now hubby is fixing it up to run again, now what do we need to do to get the lost title and how does the DVM of Illinois is going to do it? Would it cost much?

We are planning on getting it plated and insured but can not do anything until we find out for sure what exactly need to do.

I sure hope it would be painless and trouble free than his scooter, which the DVW gave hubby a very hard time, doing the musical chairs and they have no way of locating the owner and it would cost us $500 to get a new title and all those years of non transfer fees on top of it. I didnt think they could charge us all those years of storage. So the scooter is scrapped and we can not sell it without the title nor do we know where we can take it to be sold OR resort in scrapping it for parts.

Hope you guys can help!

Last edited:
Salvage? That would require inspections and so forth.

It is not a junk motorcycle that has been in an accident or flooded out. The body is pretty good shape but needed a new gas tank and seat and brakes repaired. other than that, it should be running ok because hubby poured some "preservatives" in the engine so it can be stored for a long time.

How about abandoned titles?

i would just call the dmv and ask them, at this point it must have dropped off their system, tell them you got it out of the deceased aunts shed 20 years ago and you want to get it running.. what do you need to do. I think once it drops off after so many years.. they are more forgiving.

...am I picking up that you are a little worried about the MC's status?

In Texas they would research the title back to the last owner to make sure it was never reported stolen, no matter how old. If the MC was purchased legally then they will contact the last registered owner at their last known address to get the title transferred. I don't know how much research they do to find the last known address or if they just use the one on their records. It is possible they will need a copy of the Aunt's death certificate as well. It isn't hard, really, just a PITA.
smile.png

After 20 something years having never been registered they drop off the DMV's system in CA. I'm not sure of the exact time frame but I know 20 years is beyond when they keep records in their current system.
If it's still in the system and you dont have any paperwork, you can request the last known owners address, then you send them a registered letter basically asking them to release the vehicle to you. that's what tow truck and storage facilities do when they have a car left in their care. You send the Registered letter, they have a month to respond, if you hear nothing, then you can register it in your name, some fees may or may not be thrown out if there are back registration. But I would say if that bike hasnt been registered in over 20 years.. there is probably no info on it in their system and you can register it in your name without much hassle at all. Just call the DMV and ask... its not like they can force you to do anything ..after all its not in your name currently anyway.

Nancy

I'm kinda in a similar position. Bought a bike from a guy with plans to fix it up, he gave me the title, he never put it in his name. I gave the bike to a friend of mine, and now I can't find the title. turns out the last person to have it titled is in prison for murder in Missouri. There's several title services on the internet, and one I just found is http://getcartitle.com/ . I'll be contacting them after the holiday to see if they can help. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom