About Macaw's droppings.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by hensintheHOUse, Jan 26, 2014.

1. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Could you tell me about Macaw's abnormal droppings with pictures if you know ?

My husband got a Macaw today that I was not ready for anyway...and his/her previous owner don't know which sex it is, and her/ his dropping are very runny and green stringy as you see the picture below.

[​IMG]

He has been eating human food ( without salt) mostly such as fresh fruit ( bananas, apples..) frozen vegetables, cooked pasta, cooked chicken,
    and sunflower seeds that he really loves.

I have chickens, and those dropping are not good as I know..but for Macaw who eat a lot of human food... I heard that is okay for Macaw who eats a lot of fruit.

He/she is very active and vocal though he/she is molting. His/her eyes are clear, claws, nails look good too.

Please let me know anybody who has had experiments of Macaw. The Macaw is Blue and Gold.

I am little worried about this poop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Drache

Drache Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The green tubular part you are seeing looks normal to me. Some birds have brownish or even coloured feces instead if they eat pellet foods.

The white stuff is urate, which looks normal in your pic.

To me it seems like there is a lot of urine (the water stuff) but if this parrot eats a lot of fresh fruit that may be why. Otherwise, looks good!

Keep in mind that going to a new home is stressful so give him at least a week to normalize.

When it comes to parrot stool, watch for bubbles, undigested seeds/food, and blood. Or if the urine part is not clear.

3. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Thank you Drache!! I am glad that the poop looks good.

Drache, do you know more info that you recommend for Macaw?

I want to study about Macaw..

4. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    And, I have one more question.

What do Macaw do when they are stressed out?

5. Drache

May 1, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I have worked with macaws quite a lot and if you have specific questions feel free to ask. One thing I always like to point out to parrot owners is that having a parrot is like having a hormonal teenage with the intelligence of a two-year old child.

There are a couple of wonderful books out there. I like "A Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot" and "The Secondhand Parrot" both by Mattie Sue Athan.

When parrots go to a new place, they need some time to themselves. I usually try to give my birds a week to get used to everything before I try handling them. They might scream a lot or be very quiet and reserved. They may not be interested in trying new foods or toys right away. They may also be nippy or aggressive because they are afraid.

6. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Thank you,again!

Well, He ( the previous owner thinks that is him so I will call the Macaw him from now on ) is VERY vocal.
    " SHUT UP" " SHUT UP" " Hello" " WHAT EVER"
    " UP UP" ( when he wants to get on our arm ) " I love you " " hmmmm " when he eats something interesting.

He really said " SHUT UP" and " HELLO" and " UP UP".

He swing his head side to side as you said.. like dancing and screaming sometimes.

He nods up and down when he is on my husband's arm. My husband is taking care of him most of the time. I am just watching him from a certain distance and cook for him because his previous owner said that he eats human food only such as cooked pasta, sunflower seed and a lot of fruit. ( NO avocado that is what the owner told me because it is poisonous to them)

He was very quiet while my husband was taking a nap next to him.

I will buy the books and study more...

Thank you again!

7. Drache

May 1, 2013
    Houston, TX
    A note about feeding parrots, you may want to add a variety of seeds to his diet. Some birds will pick out only what they want to eat, like sunflower or peanuts or corn, but if you are only feeding him fruit and pasta he may not stay healthy.

For example, this is what I feed my birds:

1 bowl of mixed seeds available all the time. I purchase this from the pet store. These bags of seeds have things like corn, sunflower seed, peanut, flax seed, safflower, walnut, hazelnut, brazil nut, dried flowers, dried fruit, dried peppers, etc.

1 bowl of "bird mush" that I make every month and freeze, I deal out a small portion daily: 16 bean soup with no seasoning, soaked overnight to make beans soft. Mix with canned/drained chick peas, dried red pepper, chopped mixed veggies, brown and wild rice, whole wheat pasta (cooked), raisins.

1 bowl fresh fruits and veggies: apple, mango, banana, figs, bean sprouts, leafy green veggies like collards, carrot tops, carrot, snow peas, tomato, broccoli, squash.

I also hang veggies in their cage like whole ear of corn and leafy greens. This makes them have to "work for their food" and tear it all down. Messy, but cheap.

I sometimes also make cornbread muffins with mixed veggies inside (no salt). This is also a good way to trick them into trying new things they don't want to eat, like birds who do not want to eat their veggies. I make muffins, freeze, and thaw before serving. Only one of these every few days.

It sounds like he is very out-going, which is good. If he becomes very rambunctious make use of "time out" to teach him what is not appropriate. Also clicker training works well with birds.

8. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Wow....
    I am glad to get these responses from you who cares for parrots. :)
    I am not sure if I can copy your way but I want to try. :)

I am also glad to hear that he is very out-going.
    He gets to use to my husband already but not me and our kids and other animals ( a white German sheperd, 2 chihuahua and poodle mix and 2 hens who live in the house .)

I am surprised that he has been very quiet when my husband turned the light out for
    Bed.
    I thought he would scream whenever he wanted.

9. Drache

May 1, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Well parrots tend to be daytime animals so it's not surprising that he is willing to go to bed at night.

I would encourage you to try handling him so that he doesn't become too attached to your husband. Some parrots get "One person bird" syndrome where they only behave nicely for one person. I used to have an amazon parrot who would even attack me because he prefered my husband. It's important to teach them right away that they can't get away with being naughty.

10. hensintheHOUse

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Ohhh.....Thank you Drache!!!

That is nice! He sleeps when my husband sleeps until my husband wakes up.

Hmm... I already sense that he attches to my husband already... He doesn't attack me but he is alert when I am near him.
    As long as he doesn't attack me, I would be happy even he is the one person bird. My husband had been wanting a parrot since he was a kid. My husband seems very happy to attach to him so much. I am a stay home mother so he will be okay with me and other animals.
    I will try to have him not to be aggressive to the others.

By the way,I ordered the 2 books at Amazon. :) I will study!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by