? about mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayouchica, Oct 10, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey yall, It's been awhile since I raised mallards.. around what age do they get their ability to fly?? Mine are about a month & half old. They have been running around & flapping their wings.
    I just wonder if I should walk them around our place & let them be more familiar with where home is just in case they fly.
    Thanks,Miriam

2. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Not real certian on this cause mine grew up with runners. About 4 months old they realized they could fly over the runners to get to places faster.

Maybe others have more mobile ones.

ML

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi again, Im not sure as mine are just on 4 weeks old, not showing any wingflappin stuff yet!
    Can you tell if yours are drakes or ducks yet???

4. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thanks yall, I wish I knew what they were... hopefully all hens, lol. There are alot of drakes out on the bayou looking for love. [​IMG]
    My young mallards hang out in the chicken yard & don't really wander unless we get some rain.. I did walk them around our house & they saw the bayou from a distance. They heard the geese & ducks out there, was funny cause they stood straight up with their neck stretched up as far as it could. I hope when they get older they will always feel safe to come home.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I know in the wild when the young are about 50 days old, they are able to fly.

(I take Wildlife classes)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  6. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Why thank you marebear07, I bet those are some interesting classes. [​IMG]

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I had mallards and they flew away in the fall and that was 5 years ago...they haven't come back. [​IMG]

8. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Angie, oh that sucks, go thru raising them & then they up & leave ya.
    I'm hoping these ducks will stay out on the bayou when they are older. I raised their mother & she is thankfully still around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by