FionaRose

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
staying home, usa
Hello! I’m Fiona, and I just made an account today. Thought I’d answer some of these questions for this site, and add some info about myself :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’d say yes, I am very new to chickens haha. My family first picked up 6 chicks at a local place that was selling them, as my siblings and I had finally convinced our father (he’s always wanted to be a farmer and this might be the closest we get) We added another 2 a few days later and we’re very excused to raise them. This was last April, 2017.
They were all so funny and interesting, and had their own personalities, which was very amusing to watch. My father warned us not to name them, but we couldn’t help it and had already picked out names before even leaving the store! Haha, it was practically unavoidable. It’s been quite the journey learning about them and getting our hands dirty, but definitely worth it.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
As of now we have 10 chickens. Only 5 are from the original flock. We were lucky enough to have only gotten two roosters from the original, but one was far too aggressive and caused too much stress for the hens (and my mother) so we had to give him away.
We also hatched 5 new chicks this spring from our hens, and are watching them grow right from eggs! Unfortunately we lost two hens from our original flock just a few days ago due to an attack, and are working to ensure it doesn’t happen anytime soon again.

(3) What breeds do you have?
As of now we have two White Leghorn hens, a Rhode Island Red rooster and hen, one ISA Brown, and our chicks are a mix of the Rhode Island and the others (We had to give away the Plymouth Rock rooster, but he was a beautiful bird).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I actually found it through searching the web for an answer to a question I had. None of the other questions I found seemed to quite fit my dilemma, so I registered and account to post my own!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Personally, I enjoy rather grandmother-esque activities haha. I like drawing, knitting, baking, reading. If old ladies like it, I’m probably interested. Though recently I’ve been quite invested in YouTube videos by Shane Dawson, and the occasional makeup video. Conversely, I also am a big fan of horror movies—with a preference for the supernatural kind. And of course, I love playing with and going on woodland walks with my dog!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m 19 years old and have helped raise our small flock of chickens here at my home with my parents and siblings. We also have a wonderful dog that we rescued last February. She’s a black lab and shepherd mix, and just turned 2 this year! She is the sweetest little thing (well, she’s not quite little!) and I love her very much <3

Fiona.jpg
awesopme.jpg

Back
Top Bottom