? about Mixing Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TATERsmom, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TATERsmom

TATERsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    I am new to the chicken world.[​IMG] I would like to get several differant kinds of chickens. Not just some for their egg laying [​IMG] but some for their bueaty [​IMG] (SP? LOL). Are there any chickens that I should not put in a pen together?[​IMG]

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG] If you get them all at once there should be no problem. I have one each of three different kinds and they get along just fine.

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have all mine together. Some breeds are more aggressive than other but as long as they have enough space they seem to do ok.

4. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Welcome! They should all be fine if you get them at the same time, and they are the same age. What part of LA are you from?

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Many breeds work well together and I like a colorful flock of various breeds. They will naturally create their own pecking order. I do reccomend that you mix breeds that are docile and leass aggressvie so you will have a peachful flock. One rooster if you need one but no more than two to avoid constant battles for dominance and aggrevation for your hens. Introducing birds of different ages can be more of a challenge for the first few days as older birds naturally will pick on the smaller ones. Space is another big considration. Try not to crowd your birds and they will get along much better.

6. TATERsmom

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    Thank you for your replies. Imfowl I am from Harrisonburg,La. And you?

7. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Im from just outside of Baton Rouge. Its good to see some other LA folk on here!

8. TATERsmom

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    Imfowl, I am new here [​IMG] but there are a lot of Louisianains here! [​IMG]

9. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I buy my commercial fishing supplies in Jonesville. I know exactly you are.

10. TATERsmom

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    CHAMPLINS! LOL![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by