About my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zivo, Mar 23, 2015.

1. zivo

zivo New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post here ;)
    My brother recently bought 6 chicks from a silly candy discount on the local farm shop (well they're now 5 as he took them out one morning and a GIANT sea-gull landed and took one of them LOL) anyways I'm now taking care of them . And I was wondering about 3 things ;
    -Is the brooding lamp necessary , because I'm putting them near the heater and it seems fine to me..they're not spattered all over the place or shrunk near it "I adjusted it for them"
    -What is the difference between "Pasty butt" and that skin piece that comes when they're born?
    -they seem to appreciate human presence (Once someone is near them they all go to his side for treat maybe ?)but they DO NOT LIKE being held or any physical interaction as a matter of fact is this normal ?
    Oh and how much space do they need ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They don't need a heat lamp. but they do need warmth for a few weeks. Your setup sounds like it is fine.

That skin piece is the umbilicus or cord, attached at what we call the belly button, I'm guessing. Pasty butt is dried poop and comes out the vent, their rectum, which is at their back end.

Yes, it sounds normal that they like your presence. It isn't so much that they don't like being held as it is that it takes some time for them to learn that your hand is not a threat, not a predator. Lay your hand near them and let them explore it, as a first step toward "taming" them.

For now, about 1/2 to 1 sq. ft. each plus space for the food and water. By 4 weeks, they should have 2 sq ft each, and by 8 weeks, they should have 4 sq ft each in their coop plus 10 sq ft each in an outdoor run, as a MINIMUM.

Please look over our Learning c\Center for lots more information and starting and raising baby chicks. And enjoy!

3. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Thank u that was very informative Judy! I'll try putting my hand next to them an let them explore. I don't want to scare the poor little girls all the time.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Keep in mind that chicks have an instinctive fear of sky predators, so you need to avoid approaching them from above.

Like Judy recommended, reach in slowly from the side at their level, lay your hand, palm up, on the brooder floor, then slowly slide the edge of your hand up against the toes of the chick you wish to pick up. It will usually step right onto your hand.

After a while, the chicks will compete for "elevator rides" on your hand, great fun for all!

5. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I'm really new to having chicks but I did raise geese and learned my lesson. I would pick them up and handle them even though they spooked and I had to catch them. They ended up liking me but they did not like to be picked up. I don't think you can make anything like to be picked up if it just isn't in their little birdie personality. I took a page from Linda Tellington's book about handling skittish animals like llamas and it is working really great with my chicks. I offer them lots of treats, I minimize the amout of petting on their back and opt for going to their chest, and I use the back of my hand (the book says that llamas instinctively know that the front of your hand is like claws). It seems to be going really well, just really slowly. Last week they were running from me like I was a murder and now a couple of my orpintons step up onto my hand like parrots as soon as my hand is on the ground. Like I said, I don't know much about chicks yet, I haven't even had mine two weeks yet, but I know with ducks and geese at least, forcibly picking them up did not work [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by