? about new Genesis hova bator temps

elizwlsn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Palmyra, Va.
Hi,

I just bought a Genesis hovator and have never hatched before. I checked the temps with the thermometer they send (they tell you it isn't accurate) and one that reads humidity and temps I got on ebay. They are both saying 98. The one from ebays says 98.5 actually. I've read it needs to be 99.5. I bought some BBS Orp eggs to arrive Wed. The instructions say to test on the first hatch and base redoing the temps on the first hatch and not to use expensive eggs for the first one..... wish I had waited and done that but now I do have some eggs I really don't want to "test" this incubator on. Anyone with any advice or experience with these? Will I do ok with 98.5? Will I get any with 98.5 if that's really correct? Should I trust the preset temps?

Thanks!

I have a Genesis and i had to change my Temp setting on the incubator because it would never get to 99.5.Maybe you need to try this.

You could try spot checking the temp against a thermometer meant for people. They are very accurate in the temp range we are interested in for hatching. The $20 electric thermometer/humidity meter I got at the hardware store reads lower and less consistant than the baby thermometers I got from Walgreens. I bought 2 different baby thermometers, each for about $7. One is digital, one is a manual. They read within 0.2 deg F of each other.

As an example, here are some readings I may get all within the same water wiggler:
The manual baby thermometer (the one with the red line that goes up) will read 100.2
The digital baby thermometer will read 100.0.
The electric thermometer/humidity meter gadget will read anywhere from 98.8 to 99.2 and will change.

I trust the baby thermometers.

Back
Top Bottom