1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? about planting veggie seeds.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by monster1, Mar 5, 2009.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have several packages of veggie seeds. they are about four to five years old. they have been in my garage for that time. the garage gets quite hot in the summertime. i want to plant some seeds this spring. are these seeds ok to plant or should i not waste my time? i don't want to miss my planting window on trying to grow seeds that won't sprout or plants that won't produce.

thanks

2. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Test a couple from each pkg by sprouting them... wet a paper towel & wring it most of the way out. Set a few seeds in it, and place it in an open baggie. Check them in a few days, and keep checking for up to about 2 weeks... anything viable should have sprouted in that time. I'd test at least five from the pkg. What kind of seeds are they?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

corn, snap peas, cucumbers, watermelon, and pumpkins.

4. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

The corn and peas might be iffy. I'd lay odds that the cukes will sprout, as well as the melon and pumpkin.

Edited to add - the peas will sprout quickly when you test them, though, so you'll be able to find out quickly if the seed is good.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd just soak them, plant them and see what happens.

6. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    This is probably a waste but when I find a package of seeds that is really old, I plant all of them fairly closely together then thin them if too many come up. I like to maximize my odds.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Have you guys joined TheEasyGarden yet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by