About plastic eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheep, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I finally saw a kids dispenser at the grocery store, & came home with a bright plastic two-color egg. I haven't seen any more natural looking, to tell the truth.
    If golf balls work, then garish colored plastic will, too - right ???

2. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Wow - my girls are so smart [​IMG]
    Here's how it went down:
    5 min after placing that garish neon green & shocking pink egg in the 2nd nest, Chocklick went in the coop, came out later & sang for ~10 min. I can only assume she laid, right?
    Now, I just went out to move my plant watering hose, checked for whatever Chocklick may have produced, & who should be sitting on the nest with the plastic facsimile in it? Sophie, who gives me green eggs [​IMG]

Which goes to show that hens are so smart they can think abstractly, relating the plastic thing - by its shape alone - to what comes out of their bodies. I am so proud [​IMG]

3. 2xchickenfarm

2xchickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Bath PA
    I had one laying in the fence in area outside. So I put plastic eggs in each nest. Now all 11 are laying in the nest with the exception of the one still laying outside in the dirt. Seems she buries it in the dirt. She was my first layer and I thought once they all started laying she would follow them, but she insists on laying outside. What makes it bad is the area is totally fenced in, including the top. Have to use a stick to get it to the side and then reach out. I know which one it is because she is always there squaking at me when I am getting it. So the plastic egg worked on everyone else.

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I had plastic eggs in my nest boxes for a few weeks before they atually began to lay. As far as I knew, the girls had never checked out the boxes before the day they first layed. But this is what they thought of the plastic eggs!

Checking out the boxes.....
    [​IMG]

Phoooey on the eggs!
    [​IMG]

But they did use the nesting boxes without incident from this day on! I had one that had started laying about 2 weeks before this day, and she always laid on the floor. On the day my new layers checked out the boxes and layed in them (5 that day!! [​IMG]) my floor layer got on board and began using the boxes too! Hurray!!

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I've been using plastic eggs for years.....they seem to work on most hens, but some are just too smart for that. [​IMG]

I think that putting a bit of weight inside helps them seem more 'real'. Also, the more natural the color, the better!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    I filled my eggs with a little bit of oyster shell (its abundant haha) to give it some weight. This way it was a bit more difficult for them to fall out. My girls sit right on the egg and even shift it under them with their beak. Its so cute!! And it works. [​IMG]

7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

We used old golf balls.....recycling!

8. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    I have had good results with the plastic easter eggs. I put a heavy stone inside
    each one. Of course they were pastel colored so I chose the ones nearest to
    the color of a brown egg. I placed one in each of the 4 nestboxes.

After they began laying good I though I would remove the plastic eggs but
    they began all laying in the same box so I put them back in and they went
    back to laying in all the boxes. Mine seem to want to lay where there is already
    an egg.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I use brown wooden eggs from the craft store. They have a nice weight to them and are a more natural color.

10. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking that a lot of it is the FEEL of it under their tummies? [​IMG]

I use resin composite eggs used for "decoration"... we don't need it for that because we have the real thing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by