1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About rabbit feed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by adorable, Jan 17, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have read that you can feed medicated calf pellets instead or rabbit pellets for meat rabbits ....Has anyone done this?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Like Calf-Mana (sp?). This is used as a supplement by some, but I don't know about feeding it as the sole feed.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    It also says that about 2 weeks before slaughter change to normal non-medicated rabbit feed.

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    What illnesses are you providing medicated feed to treat?

I see no benefit to providing medication to healthy rabbits. Is there a reason I'm missing?

Wayne

5. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Here in ontario. YOu have to have your meat rabbits on medicated rabbit feed. If you dont ,they will not take them. They can tell by their organs if they were on it or not. It is for precaution. I dont want them on it. But they have to be. The does and buck and babies up to 6 weeks of age is on normal rabbit feed. But from there ontil 12 weeks old. They are on the med. Then switch back to normal stuff again before slaughter.

6. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    I have never heard of that. Seems to me medicated calf feed would do more harm them good.

7. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I feed my rabbits Purina rabbit chow. I would stay with food that is designed for their species. Although I have heard someone raise rabbits on dog food.

8. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    my husband hates our feed trip around here as I have goats, chickens and rabbits. We use 3 different feed stores one for straw and minerals, one for chicken and goat, and the new purina store for the rabbits. I have used 4 different rabbit feeds before i tried the purina and they LOVE the purina rabbit chow complete. I think the calf manna is sometimes used as a dressing ( sprinled on top) of regular pellets.

9. HoneyMelon

HoneyMelon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Maryland
    Can someone please tell me the name of the medicated rabbit pellets? Brand name, anything? Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by