? about rag quilt finished pictures on post #9

piecemaker

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Centerville Texas
I am making a few demin rag quilts. Each block is 6 2/1 inch then will be 5 inch when sewn together with a 5 inch batting in each square. My question is
can I tie each square in the center instead of machine sewing them? If I tie each square will that be enough to hold the batting. Also I thouhgt I could maybe use a few ties in each block.

Thanks
piecmaker

Last edited:
I don't see why you can do this. There are endless possibilities when it comes to a rag quilt. Show pics when your done
smile.png

I would make the batting maybe half an inch longer so it gets caught in the seams when you attach the squares to each other. I would be afraid that the batting would just bunch around the center tie. Does that make sense?

*edited to add: I didnt see where you mentioned using more than one tie in each square. I would do that if you cant make the batting bigger. I would also try it that way on a few squares, attach a few squares, like a mini blanket, and run them through the washer and dryer to test it. Much easier than doing a whole blanket and have it not work.

Last edited:
I would definitely try to tie it closer to the corners, instead of once in the middle. Also, look for a batting that needs to be quilted or tied as far apart as possible. Not one that needs to be quilted really close together, or it falls apart or bunches up. Batting usually has recommendations on the label, saying how close the quilting needs to be.

Denim is so heavy, it would be pretty warm just on it's own, without batting.

OK my fingers hurt very bad I decided to tie each block in the center and all 4 corners. I did 165 blocks !!!!!
Thanks for the advice about tie more often. I did most of the blockes in the car. We had to go to College Station aka aggie land, so I used that time to do most of the tieing.
Just said on the news 70 something tomorrow and 73 Friday 72 Saterday, that is on the news alittle north west of us. So maybe warmer here. Can you say spring
ya.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
bow.gif

I feel a day of horse back riding coming on
celebrate.gif
fl.gif

edited cuz i put the wrong # in

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! That is alot of squares and ties! I am guessing you did the squares for all the blankets you are making. I made twin size rag quilts for both of my boys, each consisting of around 90 blocks. It took me forever and the clipping was a nightmare! I think I will just stick to lap sized quilts! You will have to post pics when you are done!

About all that clipping. I found out if I do it as I sew it is alot easier. I sew a row then go back and clip between each block. Then as I sew the rows together I clip them. Then I sew around the whole thing and clip. Hope this will make it easier for you.
fl.gif
Will post when I get done with this one.
piecemaker

I finished on Friday.
ya.gif
I think it turned out good. There are 99 squares and no two are the same. It is to be raffled off for The Relay for Life by my church team.

the front
ragquilt001.jpg

the back
ragquilt003.jpg

the lable I just put on it I forgot to do it before I washed it
ragquilt002.jpg

edited to add I tied each square in 5 places instead of sewing an X on them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom