? about RIR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Aug 20, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    About what age do they usually start laying? The folks I bought them from said around 25 weeks is this about right. I have 6 that are 18 &4 that are 14. There all growing like weeds. I know it will take more time but I'm hungry. The older ones are starting to get red in the face. One thing for sure is their getting big. They like me but are still kinda skittish. I've had them for about 6 weeks. I think this site has made me a nervous wreck. Do this don't do this etc. So my theory is to let them out everyday & sit in the golf cart gun loaded & watch the show. O & have a cold never mine.

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    mine started laying at around 4 months (til the coyotes got to them)

3. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I think mine started laying between 20 and 25. Really depends on the bird. I couldn't wait till I got the first egg.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think Rhoda, my RIR, laid her first egg shortly after her 20th week. It was quite small. Only took her 3 weeks to lay normal sized eggs, and they're getting larger. (She's a large bird. Even her comb is large, and starting to flop over slightly.)

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my first 2 started at 22 weeks then slowly the others one I have but I think she is buckeye not RIR like I was told or some kind of mix is not laying yet and she is 24 weeks. Alot depends to on how much heat you are getting. This stinkeye(daughter named her)

[​IMG]

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Great question, I have two that are 23weeks and nothing. They have been squatting for some time and have big red combs/wattles. Come on ladies! Mama is waiting.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    RIR question also. Mine are 16-18 weeks old. I have several roo's. Then I have a bunch of for sure hens that hardly have a comb at call and no waddle to speak of. THEN in the middle I have the ones that I am unsure about. The roo's have very large combs and wattles. The middle group have smaller combs, smaller wattles and no long green tail feathers. Their tails are more rounded than the roo's.

So, what do I have? All are the same age. The roo's are much bigger. The middle ones and the forsure hens are the same size. I have not posted my flock because there are 29 of them.....and I hate to put anyone through that.

So, do RIR hens have large red combs? If so, what is up with the forsure hens? I thought by now I would be pretty clear as to who is the boy and who is the girl.....now I have its.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by