? about roo behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay I but some chicks outside the coop in temporary intro pen. My Black Giant Jersey seems to paying a great deal of attention to them, on day one he just stood there and looked at them (he had never seen 12 wks old chicks before ) for an hour before everyone was put to bed. Day 2 him and 5 orp hens are now watching over them. I m not sure if they want protect them of kill them. Needles to say I m not ready to mix to gether yet.
    Day 3 Put 10 wk old chicks out to get fresh air and guess whos there. "T" yep he noticed the new babies and is now on the job. Whatever that is. What do you guys think.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Chickens are pretty curious about anything new. A few of them may have been thinking "death to the interlopers" though. Your older crew will need some time to get used to them and hopefully (after a time) ignoring the chicks. That's not to say there won't be some pecking order fussing and you'll need to keep watch for a while for bullying and outright hostility.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I havent let them out with others to free roam yet. I'm afraid I wont be able to catch them

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm convinced curiosity killed the chicken. (not cat) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by