About roosters

xyuingnutfarms

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
hi, I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I'm new to chickens as if this year. None of my baby's or kids are full grown yet. I'm afraid I will have too many roosters to the flock(s).. And I don't want to kill them. I've read that roosters can be okay if they are together with out any females being around. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm trying to find homes but if I can't it looks like my only other option might be to have to house them seperately. Thank you

I as well as many other here have used bachelor pads when they have too many roosters. They set up their own pecking order and since they have no hens little to fight over.

I've housed cockerels together, not for years and years, but in a grow-out pen situation. Course, some of those birds have grown all they're going to, they're a year old now.....we're lazy about butchering lol.

How much space are you talking? Truthfully, you need a great deal of space, so that they cannot see or hear the hens. Roosters want hens.

Most backyards do not have enough space, maybe you do. Roosters often ruin the whole chicken experience, and often times they are not nice, and can be dangerous to small children.

Mrs K

How much space are you talking? Truthfully, you need a great deal of space, so that they cannot see or hear the hens. Roosters want hens.

Most backyards do not have enough space, maybe you do. Roosters often ruin the whole chicken experience, and often times they are not nice, and can be dangerous to small children.

Mrs K
We have a good amount of space here. If I did have to house them seperately then I could do so further back on property where the chickens never go.

Back
Top Bottom