? About Selling eggs and Sexlinks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 6, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'm not really sure where this should go so I'll put it here.

For those of you who sell eating eggs, do your customers prefer Brown or White eggs? And how good is bussiness in egg sales.

I used to sell eating eggs of the breeds I have now and only hatch once a month or so, then I started setting every egg I got and now I am selling them mostly as hatching eggs. I was able to keep all my family and close neighbors supplied with eggs, I am thinking about a laying flock especially for eating eggs to help bring in some additional money to go on the feed bill. I am usually against having specialized hybrid layers, b/c I prefer the good ol Heritage breeds, but for a specific laying flock, I would want the best layers so I could keep less of them. I was orginally thinking about all Gold Sexlink hens and a rooster, but then I thought about the Ideal 236s and Production Blacks for anyone who wanted white eggs, but I don't know about the demand for white eggs. Then I may also get Black Sexlinks for brown eggs. I can't decide. So how is the demand for good farm eggs and what hybrids/ egg colors do you suggest? Anyone know about Amber links? BTW: I DON'T want Production Reds.

2. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    To answer your questions, Brown eggs are the big $$$$ maker. I would say get golen comets, black sexlinks, and black australorps. I sell my eggs by the dozen the eggs are $5.25 per dozen if you get only 1, but if you get 2 or more, the eggs are $5.00 per dozen.

3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks, I was also thinking about the Lorps, but I hope to find Black Javas and maybe Some Black Rocks for my rare breeds and I don't want to have to worry about getting all the black breeds mixed up.

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    What about White eggs?

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    All of my customers specifically ask for my brown eggs. They don't want the white ones (I only have one leghorn, which is my sons). Most of my brown eggs come from my Golden Comets. They lay HUGE med. brown eggs almost everyday! I have old time farmers who do not have chickens anymore who drive half way across the county to buy eggs from me because of the color and size of them. My golden girls (as I call them) are also the friendliest bunch out of my layers. They always come running to me and love to be picked up and pet. I think you should go with them myself. [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Holy cow! Where in the world do you live?!?!

I get $2.50 a dozen here for mine, which pays for the chickens feed so not to bad. [​IMG]

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Holy cow! Where in the world do you live?!?!

I get $2.50 a dozen here for mine, which pays for the chickens feed so not to bad. [​IMG]

Thanks Stacey and I was shocked at that price too, I only charge $1.50 a doz for mine.

Where did you get your Golden Comets from and do you have pics of them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by