??About selling eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimntep, May 3, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I have lots of people interested in buying our eggs when the time comes; however, I have a few who are worried about receiving "surprises" when they crack their eggs. How, exactly, do I ensure that my eggs will not yield chicks unless I want them to?? Must they be refrigerated asap and that takes care of the potential threat? I apologize for the (perhaps) stupid question, but I've not had a rooster till recently..he's only 10 wks now, but he'll be getting busy soon enough, so I want to be prepared! Thanks in advance!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Daily collection and refrigeration will take care of it. But unless you keep them in incubation conditions, you won't have any development anyway. Just be sure you get ALL the eggs daily, sometimes one get missed for a few days.

I don't wash mine first, but I warned everyone they might have a feather or a tiny bit of poo stuck on them. And the occasional meat or blood spot- that's normal and has nothing to do with having a rooster around. Also, some people won't eat fertilized eggs. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I've seen a tiny blood spot a time or two, but what does a meat spot look like? I do wash my eggs and I've been giving them away to friends for the past couple of months...no complaints whatsoever and I'd like to keep it that way! Some don't eat them if they are fertile, huh? Do they taste or look that different?

4. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Have nest boxes available. Don't collect from nests you find out in the yard or field or under the bushes.

Just collect the eggs from the nest boxes each day and put them in the fridge. It's as simple as that. The eggs can't even begin to develop until they're held over 70 degrees for 6-12 hours and then it's basically unnoticeable. They can't turn into chicks unless it's about 100 degrees continuously and no one leaves eggs out for very long at 100 degrees.

Only worry if you get a broody hen. Then you have to make sure that when you collect the eggs each day that the eggs other hens lay in her nest while she's taking her eating break aren't stuck between her body and her wings. If the eggs get stuck between her body and wings for more than a week or so, then you've got a problem. Stuck is a poor word choice. She will hold the egg there herself sometimes. The eggs are stuck when I pick her up and hold her wings to her sides when I'm looking for eggs.

5. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Thankfully, I have one broody hen right now, so I know how to handle one and she's very grumpy, thus it's been a learning experience for sure! My little roo won't be "ready", I hope, for several more weeks (just 10 wks now.) In the meantime, I'll keep gathering twice a day..checking well under Miss Pissy Pants, and I should be good and trained come time for the littles to start laying! Thanks, ya'll!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Same as a blood spot. I don't wash because it removes the bloom, which helps the eggs last longer. Fertile eggs taste the same, the only difference is in that tiny white speck, and you have to know what to look for, [​IMG]

7. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    So, if they are pretty clean I should not wash? Maybe just flick off the poo?? [​IMG] I guess you can't please everyone, but I just like the looks of them better when they are clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by