about silkie bantam: Hair plugs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmakani, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kmakani

kmakani Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi there. I'm new to this chicken life and loving it so far. For Christmas the kids each received a chicken from the pet store. They said they were a silkie bantam and a phoenix. I looked at many pictures online, but my bantam does not have the beautiful plumage that a saw, but a very bad hair plug job, very sparse ( maybe six little things sticking our of his head). He/she is about 6-8 weeks now. Is that normal or do I have a mix of some kind? It has feathers on its sides of the leg/feet, 6 toes on each side, black skin, pretty bald on top. Thank you in advance!

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Sounds like a typical hatchery bird. They won't get the plumage of a SQ bird. Can you post pics?

3. kmakani

Jan 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this will work, but I uploaded a pic above
    Aloha!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yep, looks like a hatchery bird.

5. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Looks like your basic hatchery baby,give it some time, it's crest might fill in a bit.

6. kmakani

Jan 29, 2009
    Oh, so sad. Poor thing! Talk about ugly duckling (but will stay that way)

7. [​IMG] I think he looks kinda cute!

8. kmakani

Jan 29, 2009
    Cute in a special kind of way [​IMG] We'll see as he/she grows up. I'm going to pick up new additions to my chicken family this weekend (an Americuana and a Rhode Island Red). Hopefully, these guys turn out to what they're supposed to be!

9. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Well for a start, your Americauna will NOT be a Americauna. It will be an EE or Easter Egger (which is a mixed breed that doesn't breed true) because the only way to get true Americaunas is through special breeders which are expensive & hard to find. However, hatcheries, feed stores etc. market their EEs as Americaunas or Araucanas. Your EE may lay blue, green, brown, pink or whitish eggs & there is no way to tell until they actually lay. Just giving you the heads up so you aren't disappointed if you don't get blue eggs.

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Most true AMERAUCANA (not Americana) breeders are not hard to find and we are not all that expensive. There are several of us on this forum alone.
    It is true though as what you are probably getting is a EE or easter egger mutt. Still pretty and great either way for a backyard flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by