? about strange 9 week old Silkie behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 12, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I have 3 9 week old Silkie babies. I know it is hard to determine gender but I always seem to just KNOW with my chickens from the time they are tiny. I have long assumed we have 2 females and one male. The one I am assuming is male has started doing something very odd. He will jump up and almost mount the other two. Looks like he is trying to mate them. He is a BABY, however. I am just wondering what this could possibly be? I have already threatened to feed him to the big chickies if he doesn't stop (and I think he KNOWS I am not going to *sigh*) but it is really frustrating the other two. I just can't imagine that he already knows he is a boy and knows what his job is? And if so, I can't even begin to imagine the hormonal nightmare he will be as an adult!!!

2. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I've noticed the same behavor with some of my chicks.... they are about the same age. He dosen't seem to hurt anyone... so I'm not worried.

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, he isn't hurting them, either, but he is driving them crazy! He seems to focus on the white one more than the other blue one (he is blue, also). She looks like she is ready to wring his neck!!! I have just never seen one act this way so young!!!

4. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    This is the first time I have had chicks... but they roam the yard with the adults so maybe they taught them bad manners....

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL that's cute!!! [​IMG] They need to watch what they do in front of the children!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by